WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 19 Minnesota Vikings 13
The Tampa Bay defense sacked quarterback Gus Frerotte five times, and kicker Matt Bryant scored four field goals, as the Buccaneers prevailed over the visiting Vikings. Running back Adrian Peterson was held to only 85 yards, and the Vikings lost two fumbles.
On the second play of their first drive, running back Earnest Graham suffered an injured ankle, and sat out the remainder of the game. Both teams traded field goals, and the first quarter was tied 3–3.
Two costly Tampa Bay penalties set the Vikings up at the Tampa Bay 12. Three plays later, a touchdown gave Minnesota a 10–3 lead. On the following drive, Jeff Garcia drove the Buccaneers into Vikings territory. A roughing the passer penalty on Ray Edwards then gave the Buccaneers a 1st & goal at the 3-yard line. A field goal was the result.
Minnesota went on a long field goal drive, and improved their lead to 13–6 at the half.
Tampa Bay's defense took over in the second half. The Buccaneers took the second half kickoff, and Garcia methodically drove the offense into the red zone. At the Minnesota 17-yard line, a series of penalties disrupted the drive. A holding call on Jerramy Stevens pushed them back 10 yards. Antonio Bryant the electrified the crowd with an apparent 27-yard catch and run touchdown. The touchdown, however, was called back for holding. An offsides penalty on Minnesota set up 2nd & 25 at the 32. Garcia connected for a 31-yard pass to Stevens, and the Buccaneers ultimately tied the game at 13–13.
Minnesota's first drive of the third quarter saw them drive to their own 49-yard line. They went for it on a 4th & 1, but failed, turing the ball over on downs. Tampa Bay again drove into Minnesota territory, but Clifton Smith fumbled. The turnover came up empty, however, as the Vikings were forced to punt to the delight of the BuccaneersFans.
With 14:28 remaining in the fourth quarter, Tampa Bay started a 13-play, 69-yard, drive of almost 9 minutes, capped off by a go-ahead field goal. Maurice Hicks fumbled away the ensuing kickoff, and Tampa Bay scored yet another field goal. Two drives in the final 4 minutes by the Vikings came up empty, a turnover on downs, and a fumble, and Tampa Bay held on to win 19–13.
- REFEREE: Mike Carey
- UMPIRE: Tony Michalek
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dana McKenzie
- LINE JUDGE: Tom Barnes
- SIDE JUDGE: Don Carlsen
- FIELD JUDGE: Buddy Horton
- BACK JUDGE: Don Carey
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Tommy Moore
- VIDEO OPERATOR: not documented
- VIKINGS: 06:53-1Q Longwell FG43
- BUCCANEERS: 02:48-1Q Bryant FG39
- VIKINGS: 13:33-2Q Wade 4 pass from Frerotte (Longwell kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 07:48-2Q Bryant FG26
- VIKINGS: 01:47-2Q Longwell FG37
- BUCCANEERS: 09:25-1Q Askew 1 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:36-4Q Bryant FG29
- BUCCANEERS: 03:30-4Q Bryant FG26
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #88 J. Gilmore
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- RB: #34 E. Graham
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #21 S. Piscitelli
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 19 Hilliard, 22 Smith, 26 Allen, 28 Dunn, 30 Nicholson, 33 Cook, 43 Mack, 48 Economos, 54 Hayes, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 59 June, 76 Zuttah, 79 Mahan, 84 Galloway, 86 Stevens, 87 Clark, 91 White, 97 Wilkerson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown
- 8 Griese, 10 Jackson, 11 Johnson, 23 Phillips, 24 Williams, 77 Lee, 81 Smith, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 20-53, Garcia 6-21, C.Smith 4-21, A.Bryant 1-9, Graham 1-3, Askew 1-1.
- VIKINGS: Peterson 19-85, Taylor 5-11, Frerotte 2-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 30-23-255-0-0.
- VIKINGS: Frerotte 20-14-138-0-1, Rice 1-0-0-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Stevens 6-84, A.Bryant 5-59, Dunn 4-65, Clayton 3-36, Askew 2-9, Gilmore 1-4, C.Smith 1-(-1), Hilliard 1-(-1).
- VIKINGS: Berrian 3-46, Shiancoe 2-41, Rice 2-22, Taylor 2-15, Wade 2-12, Mills 1-6, Allison 1-(-1), Peterson 1-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- VIKINGS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 2-48, Clark 1-17.
- VIKINGS: Hicks 5-108, Peterson 1-16.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- VIKINGS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Ruud 1-11, Wilkerson 1-8, Hovan 1-6, Carter 1-1, Barber 1-1.
- VIKINGS: Greenway 1-0.