WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 Minnesota Vikings 12
***HISTORIC MARKER*** Wilder's 75-yard third-quarter run gave the Buccaneers the lead for good, and was the longest run play in team history. His 219 yards broke Ricky Bell's single-game team record of 167, and were the second most yards ever gained against the Vikings, behind Walter Payton's NFL single-game record 275 in 1977.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers upset Minnesota to leave the Houston Oilers as the league's only winless team.
David Logan scored the first touchdown, a 54-yard return of a fumble caused by a Lee Roy Selmon sack of Steve Dils This was Logan's third career fumble-return touchdown, one short of the NFL record.
Ted Brown left the game after injuring his shoulder while scoring the Vikings' only touchdown. Steve Dils was hospitalized overnight after a hard hit left him disoriented. Gene Sanders, Lee Roy Selmon, Jimmie Giles, Randy Grimes, and Hugh Green all left the game with injuries.
Selmon's injury was the result of an illegal chop block to the knee, one play after his sack of Dils.
Some observers had predicted the upset, given the Buccaneers' performance through three quarters of the previous week's game, and the Vikings' struggles over the past several weeks
- REFEREE: Jerry Markbreit
- UMPIRE: Ed Fiffick
- LINE JUDGE: Ben Montgomery
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dale Hamer
- BACK JUDGE: Tom Kelleher
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill Stanley
- SIDE JUDGE: Merrill Douglas
- VIKINGS: 11:16-1Q Brown 1 run (Ricardo kick)
- VIKINGS: 04:12-2Q Safety - Sendlein blocked punt out of endzone
- BUCCANEERS: 02:29-2Q Logan 54 fumble return (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 07:41-3Q Wilder 75 run (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:57-4Q Capece FG29
- VIKINGS: 09:27-4Q Ricardo FG21
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- LT: #74 G. Sanders
- LG: #60 R. Grimes
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #77 G. Bujnoch
- RT: #70 K. Thomas
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #14 J. Thompson
- TB: #32 J. Wilder
- FB: #28 M. Carter
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #61 E. Judie
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #23 J. Castille
- RC: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #43 B. Reece
- 1 Morton, 3 Capece, 5 Garcia, 22 Smith, 41 Thomas, 46 Armstrong, 54 Wood, 55 Spradlin, 56 Thompson, 57 Leonard, 62 Farrell, 64 Lowry, 66 Reese, 69 Arbubakrr, 72 Snell, 75 Reavis, 81 Tyler, 82 J Bell, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Obradovich, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 7 Komlo, 11 Golsteyn, 26 Owens, 40 Washington, 68 Yarno
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 31-219, Carver 1-(-5), Thompson 2-(-6).
- VIKINGS: Nelson 9-36, Galbreath 9-19, Young 5-11, Brown 3-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Thompson 19-11-75-1-0.
- VIKINGS: Dils 42-22-212-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 5-20, House 3-31, J.Bell 2-12, Giles 1-12.
- VIKINGS: Galbreath 11-110, Young 3-14, Jordan 2-28, Nelson 2-21, McCullum 2-20, White 1-14, Bruer 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- VIKINGS: Swain 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Morton 2-47, Smith 1-21.
- VIKINGS: Redwine 2-37, Lewis 1-25, Bess 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: Tyler 5-20, T.Bell 0-0.
- VIKINGS: Bess 5-60.
- BUCCANEERS: Selmon 2-20, Cotney 1-8, Logan 1-5.
- VIKINGS: Holloway 1-8.