LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 Tennessee Titans 31
Brad Johnson passed for 287 yards and three touchdown passes (including two in the final 6 minutes) and forced overtime. However, the Titans kicked a field goal and won the game on their first possession of overtime.
The Titans converted each of their first three third-down tries, including a third-and-13 and a third-and-11, on passing plays, gaining 81 yards and a 7-0 lead in the process. A Derrick Brooks interception broke that string of conversions and allowed the Buccaneers to tie the game early in the second quarter.
On the Titans next possession, they converted three of four third downs en route to taking a 17-7 halftime lead.
The Buccaneers sailed strong the second half, holding the Titans on three of their first four conversion attempts, including one in which an apparent touchdown was erased by replay officials who ruled that Kevin Dyson's foot hit the out-of-bounds pylon while he made a diving catch in the end zone.
The Buccaneers refused to allow the Titans to convert any of their last three third-down tries. But not before allowing a 7-yard gain on third-and-six that helped give Tennessee a 28-14 lead. "It's disheartening, because we do the job on first and second down and then along comes third down and we don't get it done," Sapp said. "I mean, we used to live off that, off getting it done on third down. We just have to find ourselves."
- REFEREE: Dick Hantak
- UMPIRE: Carl Madsen
- HEAD LINESMAN: George Hayward
- LINE JUDGE: Darryll Lewis
- SIDE JUDGE: Bill Vinovich
- BACK JUDGE: Don Dorkowski
- FIELD JUDGE: Jim Saracino
- VIDEO REPLAY OFFICAL: Gary Lane
- VIDEO OPERATOR: not documented
- TITANS: 11:39-1Q Dyson 1 pass from McNair (Nedney kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:49-2Q Dunn 5 run (Gramatica kick)
- TITANS: 03:57-2Q McNair 1 run (Nedney kick)
- TITANS: 00:00-2Q Nedney FG44
- BUCCANEERS: 02:56-3Q Dunn 26 pass from BJohnson (Gramatica kick)
- TITANS: 12:57-4Q Nedney FG44
- TITANS: 07:53-4Q George 5 run (Dyson pass from McNair)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:09-4Q Green 6 pass from BJohnson (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:54-4Q Moore 5 pass from BJohnson (Gramatica kick)
- TITANS: 12:22-OT Nedney FG49
- WR: #81 J. Green
- LT: #67 K. Walker
- LG: #64 R. McDaniel
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #71 J. Wunsch
- TE: #83 D. Moore
- WR: #19 K. Johnson
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #40 M. Alstott
- FB: #43 J. Cook
- LE: #78 M. Jones
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #53 S. Quarles
- MLB: #59 J. Duncan
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #21 D. Abraham
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 3 Royals, 7 Gramatica, 22 Stecker, 25 Kelly, 26 Smith, 27 Abdullah, 28 Dunn, 33 Vance, 38 Howell, 50 Gooch, 51 Singleton, 52 Webster, 69 Pierson, 75 Washington, 80 Yoder, 84 McDermott, 85 Anthony, 86 Williams, 91 Darby, 94 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 King, 76 Curry, 96 Wyms
- 1 Hamilton, 46 Gibson, 58 Cerqua, 65 Hochstein, 68 Grice, 87 Murphy, 88 Wynn, 98 Cannida
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 10-16, Alstott 5-4, B.Johnson 2-4.
- TITANS: George 29-85, McNair 9-54, Green 3-3.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 50-24-287-1-3.
- TITANS: McNair 23-15-230-1-1, O'Donnell 3-3-9-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Johnson 8-140, Dunn 7-65, Green 6-72, Moore 2-13, Alstott 1-(-3).
- TITANS: Wycheck 4-38, George 3-47, Bennett 3-39, McCareins 2-70, Dyson 2-13, Green 2-13, Sanders 1-18, Kinney 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Brooks 1-10.
- TITANS: Dyson 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Smith 3-82.
- TITANS: Berlin 2-40,McCareins 1-21, Coleman 1-18.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 1-4.
- TITANS: Walker 4-49.
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 1-9, Sapp 1-7.
- TITANS: Evans 1-5.