LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 Houston Texans 28
Buccaneers faced the Texans for only the second time in the regular season, and for the first time during the regular season at Reliant Stadium. With a win, or losses by New Orleans and Carolina, Tampa Bay would clinch the NFC South division title. Tampa Bay's postseason berth, however, would have to wait at least another night, as the Texans capitalized on a sluggish Buccaneers squad.
For the second week in a row, Luke McCown started in place of injured Jeff Garcia. Meanwhile, back-up quarterback Sage Rosenfels led the Texans. Tampa Bay took the opening kickoff, and drove to the Houston 34-yard line. Coach Jon Gruden elected to go for it on 4th down and 2, but running back Earnest Graham was tackled for no gain. Houston took over on downs, and scored a quick and convincing touchdown pass. On the ensuing kickoff, Tampa Bay's Micheal Spurlock returned the ball 45 yards to the Houston 47. Even though the drive ended in a punt, the good field position helped pin the Texans deep on their next drive. Greg White sacked Rosenfels and forced a fumble, which was recovered by Jovan Haye the Houston 25. Five plays later, Earnest Graham scored his first rushing touchdown to tie the score 7–7.
Later in the second quarter, Ike Hilliard caught a pass for a first down at the Houston 28, but Will Demps hit Hillard in an apparent helmet-to-helmet and forced a fumble, but did not draw a penalty. Houston recovered, and soon scored a second touchdown to lead 14–7 at halftime.
Houston received the second half kickoff, which André Davis returned 97 yards for a touchdown. Just over two minutes later, Tampa Bay responded with a four-play, 69-yard drive, capped off by Graham's second rushing touchdown. Tampa Bay, however, did not score again.
Houston added another score early in the fourth quarter, and held on for a 28–14 victory. Tampa Bay fell to 8–5, but still controlled their own destiny for the division championship and overall playoff picture. A single victory in the final three weeks would clinch the NFC South championship. In other week 14 action, Carolina lost to Jacksonville, eliminating them from the division race, and New Orleans defeated Atlanta, keeping themselves mathematically alive for the division title.
- REFEREE: Bill Leavy
- UMPIRE: Richard Hall
- HEAD LINESMAN: Gary Slaughter
- LINE JUDGE: Darryll Lewis
- SIDE JUDGE: Mike Weatherford
- FIELD JUDGE: Rob Vernatchi
- BACK JUDGE: Kirk Dornan
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Jim Lapetina
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Jim Pearson
- TEXANS: 03:59-1Q Johnson 4 pass from Rosenfels (Brown kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:57-2Q Graham 4 run (Bryant kick)
- TEXANS: 04:38-2Q Walter 8 pass from Rosenfels (Brown kick)
- TEXANS: 14:46-3Q Davis 99 kickoff return (Brown kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:38-3Q Graham 11 run (Bryant kick)
- TEXANS: 14:56-4Q Daniels 4 pass from Rosenfels (Brown kick)
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #12 L. McCown
- FB: #34 E. Graham
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- SS: #20 R. Barber
- FS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 17 Spurlock, 19 Hilliard, 22 Davis, 25 Kelly, 26 Allen, 29 Bennett, 39 Pearson, 44 Storer, 48 Economos, 54 Chukwurah, 56 Nece, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 68 Lehr, 69 Davis, 85 Stovall, 86 Stevens, 88 Becht, 91 White, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 5 Gradkowski
- 7 Garcia, 32 Pittman, 36 Gates, 50 Trotter, 72 Buenning, 87 Heinrich, 94 Spires, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Graham 15-61, McCown 2-10.
- TEXANS: Walker 16-46, Dayne 7-17, Echemandu 2-7, Rosenfels 2-1
- BUCCANEERS: McCown 38-25-266-0-0.
- TEXANS: Rosenfels 36-27-209-0-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 6-87, Graham 6-45, Clayton 4-39, Hilliard 3-28, Smith 2-39, Stovall 2-17, Becht 1-7, Askew 1-4.
- TEXANS: Johnson 9-82, Walker 6-35, Walter 5-47, Daniels 3-20, Dayne 2-15, Davis 1-5, Leach 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- TEXANS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Spurlock 4-112, Clayton 1-21.
- TEXANS: Davis 2-115.
- BUCCANEERS: Spurlock 1-3.
- TEXANS: Jones 2-4.
- BUCCANEERS: White 3-23.
- TEXANS: Williams 1-13, Greenwood 1-8, Cochran 1-6, Kalu 0.5-2.5, Okoye 0.5-2.5.