LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 22 Pittsburgh Steelers 31
The Buccaneers, 5-11 for the second consecutive season, lost their fourth game in a row in front of the 29,690 BuccaneersFans in the 39-degree temperature wit a chill factor in the teens.
Tampa Bay coach Ray Perkins said: “I'm very disappointed in this year. I can't hide that. It's the toughest year I've had in football. But we'll keep on pushing, and we'll come back with renewed vigor.”
The Buccaneers had 19 first downs with 321 yards, six fewer penalties and two fewer turnovers. Carrier had a 7-yard touchdown in the first quarter to tie the game 7-7. Pittsburgh had taken an early lead on a 1-yard run by rookie Tim Worley, after Rod Woodson returned the opening kickoff 72 yards to the Buccaneers' 17-yard line.
Carrier had six catches for 101 yards, his ninth 100-yard game of the season. The sixth catch brought his 1989 total to 86, which broke the previous team record set by James Wilder in 1984. “Our game plan wasn't to get me the record, but on the second-to-last drive, Joe (Ferguson) came up to me in the huddle and asked how many I needed for the record,” Carrier said. “At that point, I needed three more.”
- REFEREE: Jerry Seeman
- UMPIRE: John Keck
- LINE JUDGE: Walk Coleman
- SIDE JUDGE: Dave Hawk
- HEAD LINESMAN: Aaron Pointer
- BACK JUDGE: Al Jury
- FIELD JUDGE: Don Dorkowski
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Dave Kamanski
- STEELERS: 12:11-1Q Worley 1 run (Anderson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 06:45-1Q Carrier 7 pass from Ferguson (Igwebuike kick)
- STEELERS: 13:54-2Q Lipps 79 pass from Brister (Anderson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 06:33-2Q Igwebuike FG45
- STEELERS: 01:01-2Q Lipps 12 pass from Brister (Anderson kick)
- STEELERS: 00:00-2Q Anderson FG32
- BUCCANEERS: 04:56-3Q Igwebuike FG24
- STEELERS: 00:05-3Q Worley 2 run (Anderson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 03:52-4Q Safety – Cocroft blocked punt through the endzone
- BUCCANEERS: 03:02-4Q Carrier 39 pass from Ferguson (Igwebuike kick)
- WR: #88 M. Carrier
- LT: #74 P. Gruber
- LG: #75 C. Bax
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #69 J. Bruhin
- RT: #72 R. Taylor
- TE: #82 R. Hall
- WR: #84 B. Hill
- QB: #12 J. Ferguson
- FB: #43 W. Howard
- RB: #34 L. Tate
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #97 S. Lee
- RE: #94 R. Goff
- LOLB: #59 K. Murphy
- LILB: #99 E. Marve
- RILB: #54 E. Randle
- ROLB: #59 W. Moss
- LC: #36 B. Futrell
- RC: #22 R. Jones
- SS: #30 M. Robinson
- FS: #39 H. Hamilton
- 11 Igwebuike, 5 Mohr, 11 Bell, 20 Harris, 24 Stamps, 25 Cocroft, 29 Reynolds, 32 Wilder, 40 Elder, 41 Mitchell, 51 Thomas, 56 Anno, 57 Najarian, 70 Swayne, 73 McHale, 77 Weston, 79 Davis, 80 Pillow, 83 Peebles, 85 Walker, 86 Harris, 87 Drewrey
DID NOT PLAY
- 65 Graham
- 3 Carney, 71 Cooper
- BUCCANEERS: Tate 11-38, Stamps 2-18, Howard 5-15, Wilder 7-13.
- STEELERS: Hoge 18-90, Worley 18-51, Brister 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: Ferguson 41-21-244-1-2.
- STEELERS: Brister 15-7-178-2-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Carrier 6-101, Stamps 3-34, Hall 3-33, Drewrey 2-24, Tate 2-20, Wilder 2-4, Harris 1-17, Howard 1-7, Peebles 1-4.
- STEELERS: Lipps 4-137, Mularkey 1-27, Hill 1-13, Worley 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Reynolds 1-4, Futrell 1-1.
- STEELERS: Woodson 1-39.
- BUCCANEERS: Stamps 2-39, Elder 2-38, Drewrey 1-26.
- STEELERS: Woodson 2-86.
- BUCCANEERS: Drewrey 1-9.
- STEELERS: Woodson 3-12.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- STEELERS: Lloyd 1-7.