LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Seattle Seahawks 30
McKay's pregame concern over his team's pass defense proved prophetic, as Seattle Seahawks backup quarterback Steve Myer passed for four touchdowns.
Myer replaced an injured Jim Zorn, and threw two touchdowns to Steve Largent, one to Duke Fergerson, and one to Sherman Smith. The Seahawks still needed two late interceptions to seal the victory, as the Buccaneers’ offense achieved their highest point total to date.
Gary Huff completed 18 of 32 pass attempts for 217 yards, but was intercepted four times. His audible to beat a Seattle blitz resulted in a 67-yard touchdown pass to Morris Owens, and Anthony Davis had a 1-yard touchdown run. Owens gained 166 yards, a Buccaneers single-game record that stood for four years.
Allan Leavitt contributed three field goals. McKay blamed the defensive letdown to the team's tendency to stop playing pass coverage when the quarterback would roll out, and said that they tackled "like a bunch of guys from a junior high school team"
- REFEREE: Fred Slisa
- UMPIRE: Richard McDonald
- LINE JUDGE: Vince Johnson
- HEAD LINESMAN: Norm Kragasht
- BACK JUDGE: Bob Rice
- FIELD JUDGE: Charles Ferguson
- SEAHAWKS: 10:52-1Q Largent 8 pass from Myer (Leypoldt kick)
- BUCS: 04:24-1Q Leavitt FG40
- BUCS: 02:02-1Q Leavitt FG37
- SEAHAWKS: 12:43-2Q Largent 4 pass from Myer (Leypoldt kick)
- BUCS: 00:47-2Q Davis 1 run (Leavitt kick)
- SEAHAWKS: 00:02-2Q Leypoldt FG43
- BUCS: 09:53-3Q Leavitt FG20
- SEAHAWKS: 10:42-4Q Ferguson 45 pass from Myer (Leypoldt kick)
- BUCS: 10:17-4Q Owens 67 pass from Huff (Leavitt kick)
- SEAHAWKS: 07:07-4Q Smith 44 pass from Myer (kick failed)
- WR: #89 J. McKay
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #79 S. Wilson
- C: #51 D. Ryczek
- RG: #68 D. Medlin
- RT: #62 J. Winans
- TE: #83 D. Nafziger
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #19 G. Huff
- RB: #43 E. Williams
- RB: #28 A. Davis
- LE: #78 C. Rudolph
- LT: #76 D. Pear
- RT: #61 L. Selmon
- RE: #57 D. Lewis
- LLB: #61 D. Selmon
- MLB: #54 R. Wood
- RLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #45 J. White
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- LS: #33 M. Cotney
- RS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 9 Leavitt, 25 Jordan, 32 L Carter, 35 DuBose, 38 Wender, 46 Reece, 52 Harris, 53 Bonness, 59 Lemon, 64 Robinson, 66 B Carter, 70 Carlton, 73 Hannah, 77 Kollar, 81 Hagins, 82 Butler, 87 Mucker
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Hedberg, 17 Blount, 65 R Johnson
- 42 Bell, 80 Novak
- BUCCANEERS: Davis 14-83, Williams 8-39, DuBose 8-37, Carter 3-8, Huff 1-0.
- SEAHAWKS: Smith 19-94, Sims 10-28, Testermann 2-12, Benjamin 1-4, Myer 3-(-4).
- BUCCANEERS: Huff 32-18-217-4-1.
- SEAHAWKS: Myer 30-20-252-2-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 9-166, McKay 2-19, Davis 2-13, Williams 2-13, Carter 2-4, DuBose 1-2.
- SEAHAWKS: McCullum Smith 4-57, Largent 4-44, Testermann 4-26, Ferguson 3-65, Howard 3-44, Benjamin 2-16.
- BUCCANEERS: White 1-26, Wood 1-16.
- SEAHAWKS: Beamon 2-0. McMillan 1-21, Preece 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 5-117.
- SEAHAWKS: Packer 3-59, Hunter 2-47, Smith 1-21.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 2-8.
- SEAHAWKS: Packer 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: L.Selmon 1-11.
- SEAHAWKS: none.