LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 Seattle Seahawks 13
Seattle Seahawks linebacker Mike Curtis blocked a field goal that would have sent the game into overtime, guaranteeing a Seahawk victory in what was billed as the “expansion bowl” meeting between two winless, first-year teams.
The Buccaneers outgained the Seahawks, 285 yards to 253, but the officials outgained both, with 310 yards in penalties. The 35 penalties (accepted, 41 were thrown by the officials) were two short of the 25-year-old league record. Each team was penalized for holding eight times. Defensive tackle Pat Toomay complained that “the officials made us look like a bunch of idiots”.
Dan Ryczek was the only Buccaneer lineman not to be called for holding.
Buccaneers running back Louis Carter, stuffed at the goal line, threw the ball to Morris Owens, who dived into the end zone for the first Buccaneer passing touchdown.
A tackle by Seahawk punter Rick Engles prevented a touchdown return by Danny Reece that would have won the game for the Buccaneers. An earlier field goal try was blocked by Lyle Blackwood.
The game ended with Dave Brown being helped from the field after being hit in the eye by the final penalty flag.
- REFEREE: Ben Dreith
- UMPIRE: Art Demmas
- LINE JUDGE: Jack Johnson
- HEAD LINESMAN: Frank Glover
- BACK JUDGE: Stan Javie
- FIELD JUDGE: Dick Ferguson
- BUCS: 07:22-1Q Green FG38
- SEAHAWKS: 13:15-2Q McCullum 15 pass from Zorn (Leypoldt kick)
- SEAHAWKS: 01:59-2Q Leypoldt FG25
- SEAHAWKS: 00:18-2Q Leypoldt FG39
- BUCS: 02:02-3Q Owens 1 pass from Carter (Green kick)
- WR: #89 J. McKay
- LT: #71 S. Young
- LG: #72 H. Fest
- C: #51 D. Ryczek
- RG: #67 T. Alward
- RT: #74 M. Current
- TE: #86 B. Moore
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #11 S. Spurrier
- RB: #43 E. Williams
- RB: #26 C. Davis
- LE: #78 C. Rudolph
- LT: #76 D. Pear
- RT: #61 D. Selmon
- RE: #66 P. Toomay
- LLB: #30 J. Gunn
- MLB: #52 S. Reese
- RLB: #54 R. Wood
- LCB: #25 C. Jordan
- RCB: #46 D. Reece
- LS: #33 M. Cotney
- RS: #28 K. Stone
- 4 Green, 19 Johnson, 22 McNeill, 27 Davis, 32 Carter, 35 DuBose, 44 Moore, 53 Ball, 55 Hunt, 56 Cooper, 63 Selmon, 64 Robinson, 70 Young, 79 Wilson, 80 Novak, 82 Pagac, 83 McGriff, 88 Smith
DID NOT PLAY
- 18 Dickinson, 40 Washington, 77 Little
- 5 Hanratty, 58 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 15-66, Johnson 12-54, C.Davis 1-13, McNeill 1-6, Spurrier 1-4, Williams 3-2.
- SEAHAWKS: Smith 10-45, Nelson 4-22, Engles 1-13, McKinnis 5-11, Testerman 4-3, Ross 2-2, Zorn 3-(-6).
- BUCCANEERS: Spurrier 30-18-170-0-0, Carter 1-1-1-0-1.
- SEAHAWKS: Zorn 27-11-167-1-1, Munson 2-1-6-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 5-24, Williams 4-42, McKay 4-38, Carter 3-28, B.Moore 2-30, Johnson 1-9.
- SEAHAWKS: McCullum 5-64, Largent 3-49, Howard 2-45, Smith 1-8, Nelson 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: Cotney 1-0.
- SEAHAWKS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Johnson 1-32, Pagac 1-0.
- SEAHAWKS: Blackwood 2-39, Smith 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 3-46, M.Moore 2-16, Cotney 1-9.
- SEAHAWKS: Blackwood 5-50, Brown 2-19.
- BUCCANEERS: Toomay 1-10.
- SEAHAWKS: Niehaus 2-10, Curtis 1-12, Harris 1-9.