WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 New Orleans Saints 20
New Orleans took the opening kickoff, and quarterback Drew Brees drove the Saints to the Tampa Bay 30-yard line. On a 4th down and 1, however, they were stopped and turned the ball over on downs. At their own 41-yard line, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia threw an apparent completion, but was intercepted by Jonathan Vilma. The turnover led to a Saints field goal. Midway through the first quarter, heavy rain began to fall.
Buccaneers took their next possession to the Saints 21, and tied the score at 3–3. Late in the second quarter, Clifton Smith returned a New Orleans punt 42 yards to the 39-yard line. The good field position led to a second Matt Bryant field goal. Brees took over with just over two minutes left in the half. He quickly led the Saints on a six-play touchdown drive, and took a 10–6 lead into halftime.
The Buccaneers opening drive of the third quarter was capped off by an 8-yard touchdown run by Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, his first touchdown since returning to play a week earlier. New Orleans went three-and-out on their next drive, while Tampa Bay stretched their lead moments later with a 39-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Bryant. Looking to answer, Brees was intercepted in the endzone by Cato June.
Early in the fourth quarter, Brees again drove deep into Tampa Bay territory. An apparent interception in the endzone was negated by a penalty, and the drive continued. With new life, Brees connected to Pierre Thomas, and trimmed the deficit to 20–17.
After the Buccaneers were held to two three-and-outs, Josh Bidwell shanked a punt, setting New Orleans up at the Tampa Bay 49-yard line. A field goal tied the score at 20–20 with less than six minutes remaining. With 2:33 to go, Jermaine Phillips intercepted Drew Brees, and returned the ball to the New Orleans 17. Matt Bryant kicked the go-ahead field goal at the two-minute warning. With 1:45 left, Brees was intercepted by Phillip Buchanon to ice the victory.
The win marked head coach Jon Gruden's 100th career NFL victory.
- REFEREE: Jerome Boger
- UMPIRE: Carl Paganelli
- HEAD LINESMAN: Jerry Bergman
- LINE JUDGE: Jeff Bergman
- SIDE JUDGE: Scott Steenson
- BACK JUDGE: Billy Smith
- FIELD JUDGE: Terry Brown
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Dick Creed
- VIDEO OPERATOR: NOT DOCUMENTED
- SAINTS: 5:37-1Q Hartley FG47
- BUCCANEERS: 14:50-2Q Bryant FG38
- BUCCANEERS: 2:34-2Q Bryant FG23
- SAINTS: 0::33-2Q Moore 13 pass from Brees (Hartley kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:14-3Q Williams 8 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 8:36-3Q Bryant 39 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- SAINTS: 12:09-4Q Thomas 20 pass from Brees (Hartley kick)
- SAINTS: 5:34-4Q Hartley FG43
- BUCCANEERS: 1:55-4Q Bryant FG37
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #88 Gilmore
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- RB: #28 W. Dunn
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- DB: #25 A. Talib
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #36 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 19 Hilliard, 21 Piscitelli, 22 Smith, 24 Williams, 26 Allen, 33 Cook, 43 Mack, 48 Economos, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 59 June, 76 Zuttah, 79 Mahan, 81 Smith,84 Galloway, 86 Stevens, 87 Clark, 91 White, 97 Wilkerson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown
- 8 Griese, 10 Jackson, 11 Johnson, 30 Nicholson, 39 Herron, 50 McCoy, 77 Lee, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 22-74, Garcia 7-42, Williams 4-20, Bryant 1-13.
- SAINTS: Thomas 11-34, McAllister 3-13, Bush 3-0, Henderson 1-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 23-9-119-0-1.
- SAINTS: Brees 47-25-296-3-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Bryant 3-63, Clayton 3-29, Stevens 2-21, Gilmore 1-6.
- SAINTS: Colston 6-106, Bush 5-32, Shockey 4-52, Miller 3-26, Henderson 2-33, Moore 2-15, Thomas 1-20, Meacham 1-9, McAllister 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Phillips 1-13, Buchanon 1-7, June 1-0.
- SAINTS: none
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 3-76.
- SAINTS: Roby 4-71, Meacham 1-9.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 5-82.
- SAINTS: Bush 2-(-16).
- BUCCANEERS: Adams 0.5-4, White 0.5-4.
- SAINTS: McCray 2-3, Shanle 1-6, Vilma 1-5.