LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 New Orleans Saints 24
The Buccaneers began their 2008 campaign on the road against their NFC South foe, the New Orleans Saints.
In the first quarter, Tampa Bay trailed as Saints QB Drew Brees completed a 39-yard TD pass to WR David Patten. The Bucs would respond with CB Phillip Buchanon returning an interception 26 yards for a touchdown. In the second quarter, Tampa Bay took the lead with kicker Matt Bryant getting a 37-yard field goal. In the third quarter, New Orleans would reply with kicker Martín Gramática getting a 34-yard field goal, yet the Buccaneers replied with Bryant nailing a 33-yard field goal. Afterwards, the Saints got their lead back with Brees completing an 84-yard TD pass to WR Devery Henderson. In the fourth quarter, Tampa Bay would go ahead again as QB Jeff Garcia completing a 2-yard TD pass to WR Ike Hilliard. However, New Orleans regained the lead after Brees completing a 42-yard TD pass to RB Reggie Bush.
Inside the final minute, Garcia drove the Buccaneers to the Saints 24-yard line. Facing 4th down & 6, Garcia threw an interception, and the Saints clinched the victory. With the loss, the Buccaneers began their season at 0–1 and lost on opening day for the third straight year.
- REFEREE: Alberto Riveron
- UMPIRE: Roy Ellison
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Camp
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Phares
- SIDE JUDGE: Joe Larrew
- BACK JUDGE: Lee Dyer
- FIELD JUDGE: Steve Zimmer
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Bob McGrath
- VIDEO OPERATOR: NOT DOCUMENTED
- SAINTS: 11:27-1Q Patten 39 pass from Brees (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 8:13-1Q Buchanon 26 interception return (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:03-2Q Bryant FG37
- SAINTS: 2:49-3Q Gramatica FG34
- BUCCANEERS: 0:33-3Q Bryant FG33
- SAINTS: 0:13-3Q Henderson 84 pass from Brees (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:38-4Q Hilliard 2 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- SAINTS: 7:38-4Q Bush 42 pass from Brees (Gramatica kick)
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #76 J. Zuttah
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- RB: #34 E. Graham
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #36 T. Jackson
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 10 Jackson, 19 Hilliard, 21 Piscitelli, 25 Talib, 26 Allen, 28 Dunn, 43 Mack, 44 Storer, 48 Economos, 50 McCoy, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 71 Haye, 79 Mahan, 83 Troupe, 85 Stovall, 88 Gilmore, 91 White, 97 Wilkerson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Griese
- 11 Johnson, 12 McCown, 29 Bennett, 54 Hayes, 75 Joseph, 77 Lee, 80 Clayton, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Graham 10-91, Dunn 9-54, Garcia 1-1.
- SAINTS: Thomas 10-52, Bush 14-51, Brees 3-(-2).
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 41-24-221-1-1.
- SAINTS: Brees 32-23-343-1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 6-56, Hilliard 6-45, Bryant 3-43, Graham 3-27, Askew 3-20, Smith 2-19, Dunn 1-11.
- SAINTS: Bush 8-112, Shockey 6-54, Colston 3-26, Moore 2-17, Thomas 2-11, Henderson 1-84, Patten 1-39.
- BUCCANEERS: Buchanon 1-26.
- SAINTS: Fujita 1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: D.Jackson 3-84, Smith 1-0.
- SAINTS: Thomas 4-67, Campbell 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: D.Jackson 5-29, Hilliard 1-11.
- SAINTS: White 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: White 1-6.
- SAINTS: Grant 1-8, McCray 1-7.