WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 31 New Orleans Saints 14
The Buccaneers played their home opener against the 2006 NFC South champion New Orleans Saints.
After scoring only 6 points the week before, the Buccaneers dominated the Saints, on offense and defense, at one point taking a 28–0 lead. Early in the first quarter, Barrett Ruud recovered a Deuce McAllister fumble, which set up a Tampa Bay scoring drive. Carnell Williams, who was back in the lineup after injuring his ribs the week before, capped off the drive with a one-yard touchdown run.
Early in the second quarter, Joey Galloway scored on a 69-yard catch and run from quarterback Jeff Garcia. Inside the two-minute warning, Garcia and Galloway scored again, this time with a 24-yard touchdown, to take a 21–0 halftime lead. Halfway through the third quarter, Cato June intercepted a pass from Drew Brees. Two plays later, Garcia and Galloway connected for yet another big play, a 41-yard completion to the New Orleans 9-yard line. Williams capped off the drive with his second 1-yard touchdown.
New Orleans' first score came with a 1-yard touchdown run by Mike Karney, aided by a 58-yard catch by Phillip Buchanon moments earlier. The Buccaneers improved to 1–1, into a tie for the NFC South lead. New Orleans fell to 0–2.
Following the game, with 16 tackles, and 2 forced fumbles, middle linebacker Barrett Ruud was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week on Wednesday September 19.
- REFEREE: Gerry Austin
- UMPIRE: Ruben Fowler
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Camp
- LINE JUDGE: Carl Johnson
- SIDE JUDGE: Alberto Riveron
- BACK JUDGE: Robert Lawing
- FIELD JUDGE: Scott Edwards
- REPLAY OFFICAL: James Wilson
- VIDEO OPERATOR: NOT DOCUMENTED
- BUCCANEERS: 5:25-1Q Williams 1 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 13:09-2Q Galloway 69 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 1:05-2Q Galloway 24 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 4:26-3Q Williams 1 run (Bryant kick)
- SAINTS: 0:49-3Q Karney 1 run (Mare kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 7:30-4Q Bryant FG27
- SAINTS: 2:50-4Q Colston 4 pass from Brees (Mare kick)
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #77 L. Petitgout
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #19 I. Hillard
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- RB: #24 C. Williams
- DE: #94 G. Spires
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #93 K. Carter
- DB: #22 S. Davis
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- RCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 11 Jones, 21 Piscitelli, 26 Allen, 32 Pittman, 34 Graham, 39 Pearson, 48 Economos, 56 Nece, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 59 June, 68 Lehr, 70 Penn, 80 Clayton, 85 Stovall, 86 Stevens, 88 Becht, 90 Adams, 91 White, 96 Peterson
DID NOT PLAY
- 5 Gradkowski
- 2 Simms, 12 McCown, 25 Kelly, 50 Trotter, 54 Chukwurah, 69 Davis, 72 Buenning, 98 Sims
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 24-61, Pittman 5-18, Garcia 2-6, Graham 1-2.
- SAINTS: McAllister 10-49, Bush 10-27, Karney 3-13, Brees 3-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 16-10-243-0-2.
- SAINTS: Brees 44-26-260-1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 4-135, Hilliard 2-51, Smith 2-45, Pittman 1-11, Askew 1-1.
- SAINTS: Colston 8-70, Bush 6-43, Moore 3-46, Johnson 3-18, Patten 2-66, McAllister 1-7, Copper 1-6, Owens 1-4, Karney 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: June 1-0.
- SAINTS: none
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 1-36, Clayton 1-23, Hilliard 1-3.
- SAINTS: Moore 3-50, Lake 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 3-25.
- SAINTS: none
- BUCCANEERS: Haye 1-7, White 1-9.
- SAINTS: none