WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 48 New Orleans Saints 21
After hitting their low point the previous week, the Buccaneers rebounded during Christmas week with a record-setting performance against the visiting Saints. Aaron Stecker took back the opening kickoff a then-franchise record 86 yards, but failed to make the endzone, continuing the Buccaneers' then-streak of never having a kickoff returned for a touchdown. Though he was tackled, the long return was not for naught, as two plays later, Brad Johnson connected with Karl Williams for a 14-yard touchdown, and a lead the Buccaneers never surrendered.
During the first half, Williams, Mike Alstott and Warrick Dunn each scored touchdowns, while Martin Gramatica added three field goals. The Buccaneers took a 30–0 lead into halftime. The scoring continued into the second half, and the Saints finally got onto the board. With 2 minutes remaining in the game, Ronde Barber intercepted Aaron Brooks pass, and returned it 36 yards for a "icing-on-the-cake" touchdown. Adding a little insult to injury, back-up quarterback Shaun King attempted a two-point conversion, and with its success, the Buccaneers tied the franchise record for most points in a game at 48.
The win improved Tampa Bay's record to 8–6, and put them in control of a wild card spot. One win in the final two games (coupled with an Atlanta Falcons loss) would send the Buccaneers to the playoffs.
- REFEREE: Bernie Kukar
- UMPIRE: Bill Schuster
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dale Hamer
- LINE JUDGE: Tom Barnes
- SIDE JUDGE: Tom Hill
- BACK JUDGE: Bobby Skelton
- FIELD JUDGE: Steve Freeman
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Dean Blandino
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Richard Leavell
- BUCCANEERS: 13:54-1Q Williams 14 pass from Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:10-1Q Alstott 1 run (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 3:38-1Q Gramatica FG20
- BUCCANEERS: 7:05-2Q Gramatica FG24
- BUCCANEERS: 1:07-2Q Dunn 17 pass from Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:14-2Q Gramatica FG32
- SAINTS: Horn 11 pass from Brooks (Carney kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:08-3Q Gramatica FG27
- SAINTS: 14:54-4Q E.Williams 16 pass from Brooks (Carney kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 9:03-4Q Moore 4 pass from Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- SAINTS: 5:16-4Q Horn 10 pass from Brooks (Carney kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:00-4Q Barber 36 interception return (King run)
- WR: #81 J. Green
- LT: #67 K. Walker
- LG: #64 R. McDaniel
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #71 J. Wunsch
- TE: #83 D. Moore
- WR: #19 K. Johnson
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #28 W. Dunn
- FB: #40 M. Alstott
- LE: #78 M. Jones
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #53 S. Quarles
- MLB: #59 J. Duncan
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 3 Royals, 7 Gramatica, 10 King, 21 Abraham, 22 Stecker, 26 Smith, 27 Abdullah, 38 Howell, 43 Cook, 46 Gibson, 50 Gooch, 51 Singleton, 52 Webster, 68 Grice, 69 Pierson, 76 Curry, 80 Yoder, 84 McDermott, 85 Anthony, 86 Williams, 94 White, 96 Wyms, 98 Cannida
DID NOT PLAY
- 1 Hamilton, 33 Vance, 65 Hochstein, 75 Washington, 87 Murphy, 88 Wynn, 89 Roberg, 91 Darby
- BUCCANEERS: Alstott 24-101, Dunn 10-32, Anthony 1-9, B.Johnson 1-9, Abdullah 3-6.
- SAINTS: R.Williams 10-26, Brooks 3-15.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 31-16-207-0-3.
- SAINTS: Brooks 38-21-248-4-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 5-46, Moore 3-55, K.Johnson 2-41, Cook 2-23, Williams 2-21, Green 1-14, Alstott 1-7.
- SAINTS: Jackson 6-86, Horn 4-55, R.Williams 4-15, Wilson 3-62, E.Williams 3-26, McAllister 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Barber 3-58, Jackson 1-29.
- SAINTS: none
- BUCCANEERS: Stecker 2-107.
- SAINTS: Lewis 6-132, McAllister 2-35, Whitehead 1-12.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 1-2.
- SAINTS: McGarity 2-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Rice 2-7, McFarland 0.5-5.5, Sapp 0.5-5.5.
- SAINTS: none