LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13 New Orleans Saints 20
Preparing for a matchup between two 0–2 teams, a New Orleans radio station invited a voodoo priestess to hold an on-air ritual to remove the hex that had prevented the team from having a winning season in any of its 18 years.
Three New Orleans offensive linemen suffered injuries in a 12-minute span, but Dave Wilson was still able to pass for 246 yards, and touchdowns to tight ends Hoby Brenner and Larry Hardy. Morten Andersen contributed two field goals, while Terry Hoage forced a James Wilder fumble and intercepted a Steve DeBerg pass. Wilder's 114 yards left him as the NFL's leading rusher, and through three games the only Buccaneer running back with a carry.
Jerry Bell had his best receiving game as a pro but the Buccaneerss could get no closer than seven points on Steve DeBerg's 4th quarter TD pass to Gerald Carter.
- REFEREE: Jim Tunney
- UMPIRE: Tom Hensley
- HEAD LINESMAN: Sid Semon
- LINE JUDGE: Boyce Smith
- SIDE JUDGE: Gil Mace
- BACK JUDGE: Jim Kearney
- FIELD JUDGE: Ron Spitler
- SAINTS: 4:07-1Q Hardy 23 pass from DWilson (Andersen kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 13:34-2Q Igwebuike FG38
- SAINTS: 8:38-2Q Brenner 3 pass from DWilson (Andersen kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 1:49-2Q Igwebuike FG51
- SAINTS: 0:41-3Q Andersen FG37
- SAINTS: 4:04-3Q Andersen FG40
- BUCCANEERS: 1:01-4Q Carter 22 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #66 G. Yarno
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- FB: #82 J. Bell
- TB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NG: #776 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #51 C. Washington
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #23 J. Castille
- RC: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #30 D. Greenwood
- FS: #44 Ivory Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 20 Springs, 24 Prior, 29 Bright, 31 Curry, 40 Armstrong, 47 Dombrowski, 54 Randle, 56 Johnson, 57 Browner, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 68 Mallory, 79 Kaplan, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Magee,
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Young, 74 Sanders, 75 Lindstrom
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 26-114.
- SAINTS: Gajan 18-67, Campbell 14-47, W.Wilson 2-4, D.Wilson 4-(-6).
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 44-22-252-2-1.
- SAINTS: D.Wilson 25-16-246-0-2.
- BUCCANEERS: J.Bell 8-89, Wilder 6-40, Witte 3-28, T.Bell 2-45, Carter 2-40, House 1-10.
- SAINTS: Brenner 4-54, Martin 4-53, Goodlow 3-80, Gajan 2-12, Hardy 1-23, Campbell 1-14, Scott 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- SAINTS: Hoage 1-21, Wattelet 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 2-41, Bright 1-21.
- SAINTS: Martin 1-51, Anthony 1-20.
- BUCCANEERS: Bright 2-17.
- SAINTS: Martin 3-27.
- BUCCANEERS: Jackson 2-18, Paul 2-14.
- SAINTS: Greenwood 1-11, Green 1-9.