WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 19 Washington Redskins 13
Tampa Bay Buccaneers hosted Washington Redskins for the third time in three seasons during the month of November. Tampa Bay's defense dominated a good part of the game, forcing six turnovers, and despite quarterback Jeff Garcia sitting out most of the game, the Buccaneers held on for a 19–13 victory.
On the game's first play, Garcia tried to scramble, but injured his back upon being tackled by Cornelius Griffin. He lasted only two more plays, and was replaced by Bruce Gradkowski until early in the fourth quarter. Garcia's injury seemingly galvanized the Tampa Bay defense, who went on to cause 4 turnovers in the first half. Phillip Buchanon forced a fumble off the Redskins' first pass which was recovered by Tanard Jackson who advanced it 8 yards to the Washington 19. Three plays later, Earnest Graham scored a 1-yard touchdown run. On the third play of Washington's next drive, Greg White hit Clinton Portis hard, forcing a fumble which Jackson recovered at the 19-yard line. Tampa took a 10–0 lead after a Matt Bryant field goal.
Early in the second quarter, Greg White forced yet another fumble as he sacked Jason Campbell which Kevin Carter recovered. The turnover led to another field goal. Portis fumbled again on the following drive as he took a bone-jarring hit from Jermaine Phillips and Tampa Bay capitalized with a third field goal. Before the half, Washington got on the board with a field goal, then Tampa Bay kicked a fourth field goal as the half expired to lead, 19–3.
The second half saw Washington attempt a comeback. Despite injuring his hand, Campbell stayed in the game, and threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Chris Cooley. Meanwhile, Gradkowski stayed in at quarterback for Tampa Bay, and continued to perform poorly. Tampa Bay managed only 9 yards of offense in the third quarter, and 0 yards passing. The Redskins drove 66 yards in 13 plays and over nine minutes to the Tampa Bay 4-yard line. Tampa Bay's defense held on 4th and 1 at the 4, however, as linebacker Derrick Brooks shed several blockers to down Portis for no gain.
Washington narrowed the score to 19–13 in the fourth quarter. With about 11 minutes to go, Jeff Garcia returned to the game, hoping to spark Tampa Bay's offense, and hold on for the win. He was unable to do much against the Redskins' well-rested and fired up defense, however, and Tampa Bay ended up having to punt. Josh Bidwell pinned the Redskins at their own 9-yard line, and Campbell drove them to the Tampa Bay 32-yard line. Ronde Barber stopped the threat when he intercepted the ball at the 28-yard line. With less than a minute to go, Campbell drove the Redskins to the Tampa Bay 16-yard line, but Brian Kelly intercepted the pass in the end zone with 17 seconds remaining, to clinch the victory for the Buccaneers.
- REFEREE: Ed Hochull
- UMPIRE: Chad Brown
- HEAD LINESMAN: Mark Hittner
- LINE JUDGE: Thomas Symonette
- SIDE JUDGE: Don Carlsen
- BUCCANEERS: 10:00-1Q Graham 1 run (Bryant kick)
- REDSKINS: 06:27-1Q Bryant FG35
- REDSKINS: 12:28-2Q Bryant FG27
- BUCCANEERS: 10:13-2Q Bryant FG48
- BUCCANEERS: 06:11-2Q Suisham FG43
- BUCCANEERS: 00:00-2Q Bryant FG39
- REDSKINS: 10:38-3Q Cooley 39 pass from Campbell (Suisham kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:19-4Q Suisham FG38
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #19 I. Hilliard
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- RB: #34 E. Graham
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- RCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 5 Gradkowski, 9 Bidwell, 17 Spurlock, 22 Davis, 25 Kelly, 26 Allen, 39 Pearson, 44 Storer, 48 Economos, 54 Chukwurah, 56 Nece, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 68 Lehr,69 Davis, 80 Clayton, 85 Stovall, 86 Stevens, 88 Becht, 91 White, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 29 Bennett
- 12 McCown, 32 Pittman, 37 Ratliff, 50 Trotter, 72 Buenning, 87 Heinrich, 94 Spires, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Graham 21-75, Gradkowski 2-24, Garcia 2-0.
- REDSKINS: Portis 20-68, Betts 8-47, Campbell 2-4, Randle-El 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 4-2--9-0-0, Gradkowski 19-9-106-0-0.
- REDSKINS: Campbell 49-30-301-2-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Hilliard 4-44, Smith 3-41, Galloway 2-21, Graham 2-9.
- REDSKINS: Cooley 6-96, McCardell 6-60, Caldwell 5-43, Moss 5-37, Portis 5-33, Betts 3-32.
- BUCCANEERS: Barber 1-3, Kelly 1-0.
- REDSKINS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Spurlock 2-47, Clayton 1-20.
- REDSKINS: Cartwright 3-69, Eubanks 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: Buchanon 1-9, Hilliard 1-0.
- REDSKINS: McCardell 4-19.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 1-7, White 1-2.
- REDSKINS: Washington 1-8, Carter 1-6, Wilson 1-8.