WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 36 Washington Redskins 35
Tampa Bay Buccaneers broke their two-game losing streak, and mid-season slump, with a shootout victory against the Washington Redskins.
Trailing 28–35 with one minute to go, Chris Simms connected with Edell Shepherd for a 30-yard touchdown pass. As the teams lined up for the game-tying extra point, a Washington defender flinched and prompted a delay-of-game penalty. The five-yard penalty was applied to the ensuing kickoff. As the two temas lined up for the second attempt at the extra point, two Washington defenders jumped offsides and blocked Matt Bryant's extra point kick. The play was ruled dead, and officials enforced a penalty half the distance to the goal line. The ball was placed at the 1-yard line for yet another conversion attempt. Buccaneers sent the offensive unit back on the field, and decided this time, to attempt a two-point conversion. Fullback Mike Alstott hit the pile up the middle, but a second effort allowed him to cross the goal line and Tampa Bay took a 36–35 lead. Officials called for an instant replay, but the video evidence was inconclusive, and the play was upheld.
- REFEREE: Bill Vinovich
- UMPIRE: Chad Brown
- HEAD LINESMAN: Derick Bowers
- LINE JUDGE: John Hussey
- SIDE JUDGE: Laird Hayes
- BUCCANEERS: 07:16-1Q Alstott 2 run (Bryant kick)
- REDSKINS: 03:33-1Q Hall FG31
- BUCCANEERS: 07:52-2Q Alstott 1 run (Bryant kick)
- REDSKINS: 07:36-2Q Betts 94 kickoff return (Hall kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:08-2Q Galloway 24 pass from Simms (Bryant kick)
- REDSKINS: 01:36-2Q Hall FG40
- REDSKINS: 13:14-3Q Sellers 7 pass from Brunell (Portis pass from Brunell)
- REDSKINS: 05:25-3Q Betts 17 pass from Brunell (Hall kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 01:53-3Q 4 pass from Simms (Bryant kick)
- REDSKINS: 08:19-4Q Portis 8 run (Hall kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:58-4Q Shepherd 30 pass from Simms (Alstott run)
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #69 A. Davis
- LG: #72 D. Buenning
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #79 S. Mahan
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #88 A. Becht
- WR: #19 I. Hillard
- QB: #02 C. Simms
- RB: #24 C. Williams
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- NT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #92 A. McFarland
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #56 R. Nece
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #26 W. Allen
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 21 Bolden, 27 Cox, 32 Pittman, 33 Graham, 39 Pearson, 40 Alstott, 43 Cook, 46 Adams, 51 Ruud, 58 Cooper, 75 Steussie, 77 Terry, 83 Moore, 85 Lawrie, 86 Shepherd, 89 Jones, 90 White, 91 Bradley, 96 Wyms
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown, 74 Jackson
- 13 Rattay, 28 Nicholson, 34 Jackson, 54 Mallard, 61Colmer, 64 Bryant, 80 Clayton, 87 Russell
- BUCCANEERS: Alstott 9-21, Williams 10-20, Pittman 5-15, Simms 3-5.
- REDSKINS: Portis 23-144, Betts 7-26, Brunell 3-15.
- BUCCANEERS: Simms 29-15-279-0-3.
- REDSKINS: Brunell 35-23-226-2-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 7-131, Shepherd 3-87, Hilliard 3-37, Alstott 1-18, Cook 1-6.
- REDSKINS: Cooley 6-66, Moss 4-79, Patten 3-24, Betts 3-19, Ports 2-9, Royal 2-2, Kowlowski 1-18, Sellers 1-7, Thrash 1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Bolden 1-28, Rice 1-6.
- REDSKINS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Cox 4-81, Shepherd 2-40.
- REDSKINS: Betts 5-170.
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 1-4.
- REDSKINS: Thrash 1-3, Moss 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Rice 2-22.
- REDSKINS: none.