WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 25 Baltimore Ravens 00
Tampa Bay rebounded in week 2 against the Baltimore Ravens. Karl Williams returned a punt 56 yards for a touchdown, and Martín Gramática scored three field goals. Derrick Brooks sealed the victory and secured the shutout with a 97-yard interception return touchdown with 1:06 to go.
Prior to the start of Sunday's Tampa Bay Buccaneers-at-Baltimore Ravens game, the home team remembered Johnny Unitas in a variety of touching ways. Once the game began, Buccaneers passer Brad Johnson fashioned his own fitting tribute to the legendary quarterback.
On one of his best days as a Buccaneer, Johnson completed over 75% of his passes as Tampa Bay picked up a road win that was mostly devoid of tension. The Bucs shared in Baltimore's emotion during the pregame, then drained all drama from the game itself by sprinting out to a 10–0 lead and rarely letting Baltimore onto its half of the field.
Johnson completed all five of his passes on the Bucs’ opening drive, leading to a 36-yard Martin Gramatica field goal, and WR Karl Williams followed five minutes later with a 56-yard punt return for a touchdown. Staked to a 10–0 lead, Tampa Bay's defense needed no more, pitching just the second road shut out in franchise history (the first: a 35–0 victory at Cincinnati in 1998). The Buccaneers Defense somewhat perturbed at its own performance in last Sunday's opener, even tied a bow on the affair in the final minutes when LB Derrick Brooks intercepted QB Chris Redman's pass at Tampa Bay's three and returned it 97 yards for a touchdown.
- REFEREE: Terry McAulay
- UMPIRE: Ed Coukart
- HEAD LINESMAN: Jerry Bergman
- LINE JUDGE: Byron Boston
- SIDE JUDGE: Tommy Moore
- BACK JUDGE: Billy Smith
- FIELD JUDGE: Scott Steenson
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Al Hynes
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Chuck Heberling
- BUCCANEERS: 07:39-1Q Gramatica FG36
- BUCCANEERS: 01:54-1Q Williams 56 punt return (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 03:51-2Q Gramatica FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 14:44-3Q Safety - ball fumbled through endzone
- BUCCANEERS: 08:13-3Q Gramatica FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 01:06-4Q Brooks 97 interception return (Gramatica kick)
- WR: #19 K. Johnson
- LT: #72 R. Oben
- LG: #71 K. Jenkins
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #85 K. Dilger
- WR: #87 K. McCardell
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #32 M. Pittman
- FB: #40 M. Alstott
- LDE: #94 G. Spires
- LDT: #99 W. Sapp
- RDT: #92 A. McFarland
- RDE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #51 A. Singleton
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 7 Gramatica, 9 Tupa, 22 Gibson, 23 Phillips, 26 Smith, 27 Stecker, 35 Ivy, 38 Howell, 43 Cook, 45 Solwold, 52 Webster, 56 Nece, 74 Green, 77 Washington, 80 Yoder, 81 Battaglia, 83 Jurevicius, 86 Williams, 91 Darby, 96 Wyms, 98 Smith
DID NOT PLAY
- 11 Johnson, 34 Stephens
- 10 King, 30 Barnes, 31 Wansley, 65 Hochstein, 75 Brown, 82 Walker, 84 Barlow, 90 Gurley
- BUCCANEERS: Pittman 13-37, Alstott 11-23, Stecker 5-15, B.Johnson 1-(-1).
- RAVENS: Lewis 17-53, Taylor 2-2, Redman 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 31-24-211-0-0.
- RAVENS: Redman 38-16-141-1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Pittman 6-58, Alstott 5-25, McCardell 4-38, K.Johnson 3-47, Stecker 3-11, Jurevicius 2-18, Cook 1-14.
- RAVENS: Lewis 5-38, Stokeley 4-57, Heap 3-20, Taylor 2-18, Jones 1-7, Ricard 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Brooks 1-97.
- RAVENS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 1-23, Stecker 1-22.
- RAVENS: Tate 4-78, Hunter 1-15, Johnson 1-11.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 2-62.
- RAVENS: Ogden 2-21, McAllister 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Wyms 1-9, McFarland 1-7, Smith 1-7.
- RAVENS: Boulware 1-6.