LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 07 New England Patriots 10
Despite entering the game with a 2–16 record in cold-weather games, the Buccaneers took the Patriots into overtime.
The Buccaneers won the overtime coin toss, but based on the team's defensive performance to that point, Perkins decided to kick off in overtime to get the advantage of having the 25-mph wind at their backs. The unusual move backfired, as a pair of Irving Fryar receptions set up Jason Staurovsky's 27-yard field goal that won the game for the Patriots without the Buccaneers ever getting a chance to touch the ball.
It was the first overtime win in franchise history for the Patriots, who were facing playoff elimination with a loss. New England's touchdown came on a 6-yard run by Robert Perryman. Vinny Testaverde threw his 32nd interception, which tied Fran Tarkenton's 10-year-old NFC record. Testaverde also threw a touchdown to Mark Carrier for the Buccaneers' only score, although a John Carney field goal was called back due to a tripping penalty on Jackie Walker. Roland James caught Testaverde's interception at the Patriots' 6-yard line, while Harry Hamilton intercepted a Tony Eason pass at the Buccaneers' 1-yard line, and Ricky Reynolds caught another in the end zone.
Despite the disappointing loss, players reported feeling upbeat, due to their victory over a playoff team followed by a solid performance against another contender.
- REFEREE: Ben Dreith
- UMPIRE: Dave Moss
- LINE JUDGE: Dick McKenzie
- SIDE JUDGE: Doyle Jackson
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tom Barnes
- BACK JUDGE: Al Jury
- FIELD JUDGE: Dick Dolack
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Dixon Holman
- PATRIOTS: 07:36-1Q Perryman 6 run (Staurovsky kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 02:19-4Q Carrier 15 pass from Testaverde (Carney kick)
- PATRIOTS: 03:08-OT Staurovsky FG27
- WR: #88 M. Carrier
- LT: #74 P. Gruber
- LG: #68 R. Mallory
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #50 D. Turk
- RT: #72 R. Taylor
- TE: #82 R. Hall
- WR: #47 D. Smith
- QB: #14 V. Testaverde
- RB: #27 K. Goode
- FB: #43 W. Howard
- LE: #79 R. Davis
- NT: #95 C. Jarvis
- RE: #94 R. Goff
- LOLB: #59 K. Murphy
- LILB: #99 E. Marve
- RILB: #54 E. Randle
- ROLB: #57 W. Moss
- LCB: #29 R. Reynolds
- RCB: #36 B. Futrell
- SS: #30 M. Robinson
- FS: #39 H. Hamilton
- 4 Carney, 13 Criswell, 20 Harris. 22 R Jones, 35 J Smith, 40 Elder, 51 Washington, 52 V Jones, 53 Coleman, 55 Rolling, 56 Walker, 64 Thomas, 69 Bruhin, 71 Cooper, 73 McHale, 78 Cannon, 80 Pillow, 85 Parks, 89 Richardson, 97 Lee
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 Ferguson, 34 Tate, 75 Kellin
- 21 Wright, 84 Hill
- BUCCANEERS: Howard 23-101, Goode 12-30, Testaverde 1-0.
- PATRIOTS: Perryman 17-47, Eason 3-14, Stephens 12-10, Tatupu 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Testaverde 19-10-145-1-1.
- PATRIOTS: Eason 27-16-155-2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Carrier 4-90, Hall 2-24, Pillow 2-24, D.Smith 1-6, Howard 1-1.
- PATRIOTS: Fryar 3-59, Dupard 3-21, Perryman 3-17, Francis 3-16, Stephens 2-13, Morgan 1-18, Jones 1-11.
- BUCCANEERS: Hamilton 1-6, Reynolds 1-0.
- PATRIOTS: James 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Elder 1-13.
- PATRIOTS: Martin 1-34, Davis 1-19.
- BUCCANEERS: Futrell 1-3, Elder 1-0.
- PATRIOTS: Fryar 5-48.
- BUCCANEERS: Goff 1-8.
- PATRIOTS: Williams 2-14.