LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 21 Carolina Panthers 28
Still trying to acquire their first win of the season, the Buccaneers went home for a Week 6 NFC South duel with the Carolina Panthers. Tampa Bay sailed off to a good start in the first quarter with a 20-yard touchdown run from running back Cadillac Williams. However, the Panthers would tie the game in the second quarter with running back DeAngelo Williams getting a 20-yard touchdown run.
During the second quarter, punt returner Clifton Smith left the game due to a concussion caused by Panthers cornerback Dante Wesley ramming into Smith. Wesley was flagged for unnecessary roughness and was ejected.
Carolina would take the lead in the third quarter with quarterback Jake Delhomme completing a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jeff King and running back Jonathan Stewart getting a 26-yard touchdown, yet the Buccaneers immediately got themselves back into the game as rookie wide receiver Sammie Stroughter returned the kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown. In the fourth quarter, Tampa Bay tied the game with safety Tanard Jackson's 26-yard interception return for a touchdown. However, the Panthers delivered the final blow with Williams' 1-yard touchdown run.
With the loss, the Buccaneers fell to 0–6 for the 1st time since 1985.
Panthers racked up 299 yards rushing, and took over sole possession of first place in the NFC South division.
- REFEREE: John Parry
- UMPIRE: Roy Eillson
- HEAD LINESMAN: Wayne Mackie
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Marinucci
- SIDE JUDGE: Keith Washington
- FIELD JUDGE: Scott Edwards
- BACK JUDGE: Perry Paganelli
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Al Hynes
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- BUCCANEERS: 10:57-1Q C.Williams 20 run (Andrus kick)
- PANTHERS: 11:48-2QD.Williams 20 run (Kasay kick)
- PANTHERS: 12:07-3Q King 1 pass from Delhomme (Kasay kick)
- PANTHERS: 2:33-3Q Stewart 26 run (Kasay kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:17-3Q Stroughter 97 kickoff return (Andrus kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 8:33-4Q Jackson 26 interception return (Andrus kick)
- PANTHERS: 0:29-4Q D.Williams 1 run (Kasay kick)
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #88 J. Gilmore
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- QB: #86 J. Stevens
- RB: #07 J. Garcia
- WR: #28 W. Dunn
- LE: #97 J. Wilkerson
- DT: #98 R. Sims
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- RE: #91 S. White
- SLB: #58 Q. Black
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #54 G. Hayes
- LCB: #25 A. Talib
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #21 S. Piscitelli
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Andrus, 8 D Johnson, 18 Stroughter, 22 Smith, 26 Allen, 27 Cox, 28 Ward, 33 Mack, 34 Graham, 41 Lynch, 48 Economos, 53 Koutouvides, 56 Wilson, 71 Bennett, 72 M Johnson, 79 Mahan, 85 Stovall, 87 Clark, 88 Gilmore, 93 Miller, 96 Crowder
DID NOT PLAY
- 5 Freeman
- 7 Leftwich, 16 Figurs, 29 Roberson, 35 Askew, 57 Hayward, 61 Compas, 69 Dotson, 92 D.Moore, 94 K.Moore
- BUCCANEERS: C.Williams 16-77, Johnson 8-45, Ward 1-2.
- PANTHERS: D.Williams 30-152, Stewart 17-110, Delhomme 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Johnson 17-11-147-1-0.
- PANTHERS: Delhomme 17-9-65-2-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Stroughter 3-65, Winslow 3-29, Bryant 2-37, Clayton 1-9, Ward 1-5, Graham 1-2.
- PANTHERS: Muhammad 3-27, D.Williams 2-20, King 2-8, Rosario 1-6, Smith 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Jackson 1-26, Ruud 1-2.
- PANTHERS: Davis 1-24.
- BUCCANEERS: Stroughter 3-142, Smith 1-25.
- PANTHERS: Moore 3-59.
- BUCCANEERS: Smith 1-6.
- PANTHERS: Munnerlyn 1-34.
- BUCCANEERS: White 1-10.
- PANTHERS: Johnson 2-19, Peppers 2-7.