WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27 Carolina Panthers 03
Hoping to rebound from their road loss to the Broncos, the Buccaneers went home for a Week 6 NFC South duel with the Carolina Panthers.
Carolina received the opening kickoff, but their opening drive was short-lived. At their own 41-yard line, Jason Baker's punt was blocked, and LB Geno Hayes returned the ball 22 yards for a touchdown, which was the first time that Tampa Bay returned a blocked punt for a touchdown since December 2, 2001 against the Bengals. Later in the first quarter, Jake Delhomme was intercepted by Tanard Jackson at the Carolina 36. Jeff Garcia drove the Buccaneers in five plays for a touchdown, and a 14–0 lead.
Carolina got on the board early in the second quarter, with a 20-yard field goal. The Panthers had 1st & goal at the Tampa Bay 3, and nearly suffered a fumble. After review, the ruling on the field (down by contact) was upheld, and the Pathers trimmed the deficit to 14–3.
On the next drive, Garcia connected deep to Michael Clayton, and a Matt Bryant field goal put the Buccaneers up 17–3. After trading possessions, Carolina was pinned back at their own 6-yard line. Delhomme drove the Panthers into Tampa territory, but was intercepted in the endzone by Jermaine Phillips. The turnover came up short, however, as Bryant missed a field goal to end the half.
Buccaneers took the second half kickoff. Josh Bidwell punted, and the ball appeared to be downed at the 1-yard line, but officials ruled a touchback. After a replay challenge, the ruling was overturned, and Carolina took over inside their own 1. The poor field position led to another Tampa Bay field goal, and a 20–3 lead. Carolina's next drive went 3-and-out, and a poor punt set up the Buccaneers up at the 41. Jeff Garcia drove the Buccaneers to the 1-yard line, including a 3rd down scramble at the 2. Earnest Graham capped off the drive with a 1-yard touchdown.
All of Carolina's fourth quarter drives came up empty, and Buccaneers ran out the clock to seal the victory. The win snapped a 5-game losing streak to Carolina at Raymond James Stadium.
With the win, the Buccaneers improved to 4–2.
- REFEREE: Carl Cheffers
- UMPIRE: Garth DeFelice
- HEAD LINESMAN: Kent Payne
- LINE JUDGE: Charles Stewart
- SIDE JUDGE: Jeff Lamberth
- FIELD JUDGE: Jim Saracino
- BACK JUDGE: Carl Paganelli
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Larry Nemmers
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- BUCCANEERS: 12:25-1Q Hayes 22 blocked punt return (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:40-1Q Smith 2 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- PANTHERS: 12:31-2Q Kasay FG20
- BUCCANEERS: 8:58-2Q Bryant FG37
- BUCCANEERS: 6:03-3Q Bryant FG49
- BUCCANEERS: 14:11-4Q Graham 1 run (Bryant kick)
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- RB: #34 E. Graham
- FB: #44 B. Storer
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 10 Jackson, 12 McCown, 19 Hilliard, 21 Piscitelli, 25 Talib,26 Allen, 28 Dunn, 29 Bennett, 43 Mack, 48 Economos, 54 Hayes, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 71 Haye, 79 Mahan, 85 Stovall, 86 Stevens, 88 Gilmore, 91 White, 97 Wilkerson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 76 Zuttah
- 8 Griese, 11 Johnson, 35 Askew, 50 McCoy, 69 Davis, 77 Lee, 84 Galloway, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 22-115, Graham 5-11, Bennett 5-11, Garcia 3-6, Hilliard 1-0, McCown 1-(-1).
- PANTHERS: Williams 11-27, Stewart 6-12, Hoover 2-2, Delhomme 1-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 20-15-173-0-1.
- PANTHERS: Delhomme 39-20-242-3-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Smith 3-43, Dunn 3-18, Graham 2-47, Clayton 2-29, Bryant 1-13, Gilmore 1-7, Hilliard 1-6.
- PANTHERS: Smith 6-112, Muhammad 4-68, Rosario 3-28, Williams 2-8, Jones 1-13, Hoover 1-5, Jarrett 1-4, King 1-3, Stewart 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Phillips 1-58, Jackson 1-25, Talib 1-11.
- PANTHERS: none
- BUCCANEERS: D.Jackson 1-22.
- PANTHERS: Jones 4-85, Stewart 1-20.
- BUCCANEERS: D.Jackson 3-26.
- PANTHERS: Jones 1-9.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- PANTHERS: none