LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Carolina Panthers 31
Buccaneers concluded the regular season at home against the Panthers. They dropped the season finale, and their second-straight game, but rested most of their starters (including Garcia, Graham, Galloway and Ruud). Luke McCown started at quarterback.
On their opening drive, McCown drove the Buccaneers for the game's first score, a touchdown pass to Jerramy Stevens. The drive included a 52-yard catch by Chad Lucas. Carolina responded by driving to the Tampa Bay 4-yard line. A field goal kick was good, but a holding penalty by Derrick Brooks gave the Panthers a first down. They capitalized by scoring a touchdown.
In the second quarter, an interception by Phillip Buchanon led to a Tampa Bay field goal. Late in the second quarter, Josh Bidwell punted to Carolina, but a fumble on the return was recovered by the Buccaneers. Tampa Bay tacked on another field goal before halftime, and trailed, 14–13, at the half.
Midway through the third quarter, Carolina punted and pinned the Buccaneers on their own 2-yard line. McCown then led the Buccaneers on a 10-play, 98-yard touchdown drive, the longest such scoring drive in franchise history. Carolina kept themselves in the game, however, quickly following up with a 46-yard reception to Drew Carter, and then a 1-yard touchdown run.
Trailing 31–23 late in the fourth quarter, McCown drove the Buccaneers to the Carolina 36-yard line, but was intercepted by Richard Marshall. The Buccaneers finished the regular season 9–7 (5–1 division, 6–2 home).
- REFEREE: Gene Steratore
- UMPIRE: Carl Madsen
- HEAD LINESMAN: Paul Weldner
- LINE JUDGE: Tom Barnes
- SIDE JUDGE: Barry Anderson
- FIELD JUDGE: Doug Rosenbaum
- BACK JUDGE: Tony Steratore
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Al Hynes
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- BUCCANEERS: 11:04-1Q Stevens 3 pass from McCown (Bryant kick)
- PANTHERS: 3:55-1Q Fauria 2 pass from Moore (Kasay kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:32-2Q Bryant FG31
- PANTHERS: 6:40-2Q Rosario 20 pass from Moore (Kasay kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:34-2Q Bryant FG23
- PANTHERS: 0:16-2Q Kasay FG19
- BUCCANEERS: 6:57-3Q Bennett 23 pass from McCown (Bryant kick)
- PANTHERS: 4:03-3Q Williams 1 run (Kasay kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:02-4Q Bryant FG49
- PANTHERS: 6:24-4Q Williams 32 run (Kasay kick)
- WR: #15 C. Lewis
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #12 L. McCown
- RB: #32 M. Pittman
- FB: #44 B. Storer
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #50 J. Trotter
- WCB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- RCB: #25 B. Kelly
- SS: #39 K. Pearson
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 17 Spurlock, 18 Clark, 22 Davis, 25 Kelly, 26 Allen, 29 Bennett, 33 Darby, 48 Economos, 54 Chukwurah, 56 Nece, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 68 Lehr, 69 Davis, 86 Stevens, 88 Becht, 91 White, 94 Spires, 96 Peterson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 5 Gradkowski
- 7 Garcia, 19 Hilliard, 23 Phillips, 34 Graham, 35 Askew, 51 Ruud, 72 Buenning, 84 Galloway
- BUCCANEERS: McCown 5-47, Bennett 15-39, Pittman 4-12, Darby 2-9.
- PANTHERS: Williams 20-121, Foster 11-46, Jarrett 1-11, Hoover 1-2, Haynes 2-1, Moore 1-0, Testaverde 1-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: McCown 28-21-236-1-2.
- PANTHERS: Moore 24-15-174-1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Lucas 5-82, Clayton 5-60, Stevens 4-30, Bennett 2-28, Darby 2-16, Smith 1-18, Becht 1-2, Pittman 1-0.
- PANTHERS: Smith 5-48, Rosario 3-36, Carter 2-59, Foster 1-11, Robinson 1-9, King 1-5, Hoover 1-4, Fauria 1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Buchanon 1-4.
- PANTHERS: Marshall 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Spurlock 2-41, Darby 2-11.
- PANTHERS: Goings Robinson 3-103, Moorehead 2-14.
- BUCCANEERS: Spurlock 1-15.
- PANTHERS: Robinson 2-20.
- BUCCANEERS: Spires 1-5.
- PANTHERS: Marshall 1-14, Diggs 1-11, McClover 1-9, Moorehead 1-6.