WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Carolina Panthers 10
Brad Johnson threw two touchdown passes, and Martín Gramática scored four field goals, in a 23–10 win over the Panthers. The Buccaneers swept the season series with Carolina, and posted a franchise-best 8–2 start.
The Bucs reached that franchise high-water mark on Sunday with a 23–10 victory over Carolina, in the process moving into a tie with former division rival Green Bay for the best record in the NFL. Tampa Bay and Green Bay square off for sole possession of the league's best mark next Sunday in Raymond James Stadium.
After the Bucs defeated Carolina, 12–9, in an ‘ugly’ game three weeks ago in Charlotte, the rematch was billed as another defensive struggle, though with a twist. While this was indeed a matchup of the league's first and third-ranked defenses, it also marked the returns of starting quarterbacks Brad Johnson and Rodney Peete, each of whom missed the last game between the two. Statistically, Johnson and the Bucs’ defense came out on top, though Bucs Head Coach Jon Gruden complimented the Panthers’ work, as well.
- REFEREE: Bob McElwee
- UMPIRE: Jeff Rice
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tony Veteri
- LINE JUDGE: Gary Arthur
- SIDE JUDGE: Michael Banks
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill Lovett
- BACK JUDGE: Tony Steratore
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Dean Blandino
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- PANTHERS: :06-1Q S.Smith 20 pass from Peete (Graham kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 9:27-2Q K.Johnson 1 pass from B.Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- PANTHERS: 6:25-2Q Graham FG42
- BUCCANEERS: 3:00-2Q Gramatica FG20
- BUCCANEERS: 1:28-3Q McCardell 22 pass from B Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 8:03-4Q Gramatica FG32
- BUCCANEERS: 3:57-4Q Gramatica FG41
- WR: #19 K. Johnson
- TE: #88 R. Dudley
- LT: #72 R. Oben
- LG: #71 K. Jenkins
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #85 K. Dilger
- WR: #87 K. McCardell
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #32 M. Pittman
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- LT: #99 W. Sapp
- NT: #91 C. Darby
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- SLB: #51 A. Singleton
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 7 Gramatica, 9 Tupa, 23 Phillips, 26 Smith, 27 Stecker, 35 Ivy, 38 Howell, 40 Alstott, 43 Cook, 52 Webster, 58 Golden, 66 Benjamin, 74 Green, 75 Brown, 77 Washington, 80 Yoder, 83 Jurevicius, 86 Williams, 89 Crawford, 90 Gurley, 96 Wyms
DID NOT PLAY
- 11 Johnson, 93 Claybrooks
- 10 King, 30 Barnes, 31 Wansley, 64 Goodspeed, 81 Lee, 84 Barlow, 92 McFarland, 98 Smith
- BUCCANEERS: Pittman 21-57, Alstott 2-8, B.Johnson 4-6, Stecker 2-(-4).
- PANTHERS: L.Smith 15-46, Brown 4-17.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 40-22-253-0-2.
- PANTHERS: Peete 38-22-205-3-1.
- BUCCANEERS: K.Johnson 7-74, McCardell 4-56, Pittman 4-21, Jurevicius 2-48, Stecker 2-20, Alstott 2-13, Dudley 1-21.
- PANTHERS: Brown 6-44, Goings 4-35, S.Smith 4-40, Muhammad 3-59, Walls 2-21, Wiggins 1-6, Hankton 1-4, L.Smith 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Smith 1-2, Lynch 1-0, Kelly 1-(-7).
- PANTHERS: none
- BUCCANEERS: Stecker 3-73.
- PANTHERS: Brown 2-46, Black 2-29, Wiggins 1-18.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 3-10.
- PANTHERS: Smith 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Rice 2-20, Wyms 1-9, Spires 1-8.
- PANTHERS: Burton 1-6, Peppers 1-0.