WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30 Green Bay Packers 27
James Wilder rushed 43 times for 172 yards, tying Butch Woolfolk's year-old NFL record for single-game carries, and breaking Wilder's own team mark of 42. He became the only running back in NFL history to have at least forty single-game carries on more than one occasion. His four receptions for 44 yards put him in first place in the league for total yards from scrimmage.
The Buccaneers appeared to have the game put away until Lynn Dickey hit James Lofton at the Packer 16-yard line. Although Lofton was in the grasp of Jeremiah Castille, he was able to lateral the ball to Gerry Ellis, who scored the tying touchdown with 21 seconds left.
The game was marked by big plays from the Buccaneer defense. Castille intercepted a pass that bounced off of Cecil Johnson's helmet, one of several Buccaneer takeaways. Dave Logan broke up a fourth-quarter tie by intercepting a Lynn Dickey pass and returning it for a touchdown. Logan later assisted Jeff Davis on a tackle of Ray Crouse for a loss on fourth-and-one. This in turn influenced Packers coach Forrest Gregg's decision to punt on fourth-and-one in overtime, with Gregg admitting to feeling intimidated by the Tampa Bay defense.
The decision seemed justified when Bucky Scribner punted the ball to the Tampa Bay 2-yard line, but neither team was able to advance the ball on their ensuing possessions. The Buccaneers eventually drove to the Packer 17-yard line, where McKay elected to try to gain more yardage instead of attempting an immediate field goal. This decision almost backfired due to consecutive 10-yard penalties on Jimmie Giles and Gerald Carter, but Obed Ariri was successful on a 48-yard game-winning field goal attempt.
Ariri became the first Buccaneer kicker to make three field goals of over 40 yards in a single game. As all other NFC Central teams lost that weekend, the victory moved Tampa Bay into a second-place tie with the Minnesota Vikings.
Wilder was later named NFL Offensive Player of the Week for his performance.
- REFEREE: Chuck Heberling
- UMPIRE: Gordon Wells
- LINE JUDGE: Dale Orem
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tom Johnson
- BACK JUDGE: Al Jury
- FIELD JUDGE: Charley Musser
- SIDE JUDGE: Bill Quinby
- BUCCANEERS: 07:19-1Q Wilder 33 run (Ariri kick)
- PACKERS: 06:40-1Q Clark 43 run (Garcia kick)
- PACKERS: 05:00-1Q Garcia FG41
- BUCCANEERS: 06:12-2Q Ariri FG46
- BUCCANEERS: 00:30-2Q DeBerg 6 run (Ariri kick)
- PACKERS: 00:00-2Q Garcia FG51
- PACKERS: 01:53-3Q Coffman 4 pass from Dickey (Garcia kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:04-4Q Ariri FG49
- BUCCANEERS: 06:32-4Q Logan 27 interception return (Ariri kick)
- PACKERS: 00:08-4Q Ellis 36 pass from Dickey (Garcia kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:22-OT Ariri FG48
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #74 G. Sanders
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- TE: #82 J. Bell
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- FB: #46 A. Armstrong
- TB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 K. Browner
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LCB: #23 J. Castille
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- LS: #43 B. Reece
- RS: #34 C. Brown
- 2 Ariri, 5 Garcia, 16 Kiel, 20 Morton, 24 Harvey, 27 Acorn, 28 Carver, 29 Bright, 33 Cotney, 41 Thomas, 51 Washington, 54 Wood, 55 Spradlin, 56 Johnson, 60 Grimes, 67 Morgan, 71 Braggs, 75 Manor, 79 Kaplan, 81 Tuttle, 85 Witte, 86 Carroll, 87 Carter
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Thompson, 65 Jackson, 70 Thomas, 83 T Bell
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 43-172, DeBerg 3-7, Morton 1-1.
- PACKERS: Clark 6-63, Ellis 14-58, Huckleby 5-29, Crouse 14-17.
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 40-21-246-3-0, Garcia 1-0-0-0-0.
- PACKERS: Dickey 31-16-232-3-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 8-75, House 4-48, Wilder 4-44, J.Bell 2-28, Giles 1-23, Armstrong 1-16, Carver 1-12.
- PACKERS: Lofton 3-70, Ellis 3-41, Jefferson 3-37, Huckleby 3-28, Epps 2-37, Clark 1-15, Coffman 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Logan 1-27, Brantley 1-4, Castille 1-0.
- PACKERS: Lewis 2-40, Anderson 1-22.
- BUCCANEERS: Morton 3-45, Bright 1-30, Wood 1-16.
- PACKERS: Epps 6-122, Prather 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: Bright 2-14.
- PACKERS: Epps 3-19.
- BUCCANEERS: Browner 1-10, Selmon 1-6.
- PACKERS: Johnson 1-10, Scott 1-5, Murphy 1-5.