LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 09 Green Bay Packers 12
Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered the game hoping to avenge their embarrassing early-season loss, by spoiling the Packers' playoff hopes. Instead, the Packers won the game to tie the Detroit Lions for the division lead.
The Buccaneer defense kept Green Bay's second-ranked offense out of the end zone for the entire game. The Buccaneer offense was criticized for being overly conservative, although receiver Theo Bell pointed out that the Packers' style of defense left better rushing opportunities, due to the defensive backs' double-coverage of the outside receivers. Jan Stenerud's second field goal moved him past George Blanda's record of 335 career field goals. Stenerud went on to kick two more, one to put the game into overtime, and the other to win.
McKay publicly blamed Bill Capece for the loss, as did Monday Night Football announcer Don Meredith, after Capece missed an extra-point attempt and a potentially game-winning field goal attempt. Stenerud expressed sympathy for Capece, pointing out the difficulty of kicking when the team is constantly rotating the snapper and holder, as the Buccaneers had been doing.
McKay later vowed not to attempt any field goals in the following week's game, and said, "I'm tired of being crucified by all these wonderful Florida people. God bless you and merry Christmas".
- REFEREE: Tom Dooley
- UMPIRE: Davis Hamilton
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Slinger
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Marion
- BACK JUDGE: Brian Williams
- FIELD JUDGE: Jack Vaukhan
- SIDE JUDGE: Tom Quinby
- PACKERS: 12:05-1Q Stenerud FG35
- BUCCANEERS: 13:31-2Q Capece FG22
- PACKERS: 00:42-3Q Stenerud FG32
- BUCCANEERS: 07:33-4Q Armstrong 4 pass from Thompson (kick failed)
- PACKERS: 00:28-4Q Stenerud FG23
- PACKERS: 10:53-OT Stenerud FG23
- WR: #83 T. Bell
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #68 G. Yarno
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #70 K. Thomas
- TE: #86 J. Obradovich
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #14 J. Thompson
- FB: #46 A. Armstrong
- TB: #28 M. Carver
- LE: #66 B. Reese
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #51 E. Judie
- LILB: #55 D. Spradlin
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LCB: #21 J. Holt
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #43 B. Reece
- 1 Morton, 3 Capece, 5 Garcia, 22 Smith, 23 Castille, 26 Owens, 24 Morris, 41 Thomas, 44 Middleton, 54 Wood, 56 Thompson, 57 Leonard, 64 Lowry, 69 Arbubakrr, 78 Cannon, 81 Tyler, 82 J Bell, 85 Witte, 87 Carter, 88 Giles, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 7 Komlo, 11 Golsteyn, 58 Davis, 72 Snell, 74 Sanders, 77 Bujnoch
- BUCCANEERS: Carver 22-83, Thompson 3-8, Armstrong 2-6, House 1-(-4).
- PACKERS: Clark 12-35, Huckleby 8-29, Ellis 9-29, Meade 1-1, Dickey 3-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Thompson 23-12-171-3-1.
- PACKERS: Dickey 36-24-278-3-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Armstrong 5-67, Carver 3-45, T.Bell 2-39, House 2-20.
- PACKERS: Coffman 4-53, Ellis 4-27, Meade 3-35, Lewis 3-33, Huckleby 3-24, Epps 2-33, Clark 2-26, Jefferson 2-23, Lofton 1-24.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 1-29, Cotney 1-0, Reese 1-0.
- PACKERS: Lee 2-15, Scott 1-12.
- BUCCANEERS: Morton 3-53, Owens 1-0.
- PACKERS: Huckleby 2-40, T.Lewis 2-26.
- BUCCANEERS: T.Bell 3-8.
- PACKERS: Epps 2-20.
- BUCCANEERS: Cannon 1-8, Spradlin 1-2.
- PACKERS: Johnson 1-9, Boyd 1-9, Cumby 1-7.