LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 Green Bay Packers 55
The win was Green Bay's first over the Buccaneers in their last seven meetings. The Buccaneers had only 20 yards rushing. The Packers' 49 first-half points broke their old NFL record of 45 in a single half, set in 1967. Their 55 points were the most scored by the team during Bart Starr's 9-year tenure as head coach, and were only two less than Tampa Bay's entire season total. Jan Stenerud's seven extra points and two field goals moved him past Jim Turner into second place all-time in NFL scoring, with 1,447 points. James Lofton became the fifth Packers receiver with 300 receptions, and had his 20th 100-yard receiving day.
Green Bay scored first on Phil Epps' 90-yard punt return, and then a 75-yard pass from Lynn Dickey to Jessie Clark. In the second quarter, they scored on a 1-yard Harlan Huckleby run, passes to Paul Coffman and Lofton, a 35-yard Mike Douglass fumble return, and a 27-yard John Anderson interception return. The Buccaneers scored on a 21-yard Hugh Green interception return, and a 2-yard James Owens run. When a reporter asked about the team's ineptitude, McKay called it the most disgraceful performance he'd ever seen, and then threatened to punch the reporter. At least eight negative team records were broken, including the longest punt return and pass play by a Buccaneer opponent (Epps' 90-yard return and Dickey's 75-yard touchdown), most passing yards (363), points (55), and touchdowns (7) allowed in a game, and most points allowed in a quarter (35). James Lofton's four receptions for 112 yards made him the first wide receiver to catch for 100 yards in a single game against Tampa Bay. Dickey's three touchdown passes and Green Bay's seven touchdowns tied the records for a Tampa Bay opponent, and the final score was 1 point short of the team's biggest-ever margin of defeat.
Eight of the team's 22 starters missed the game with injuries. Several linebackers and members of the secondary were playing either out-of-position or hurt. The aftermath of the game saw several lineup changes. McKay alleged that several players were not putting forth full effort, although he admitted that better players were not available. Terdell Middleton was waived and replaced by Adger Armstrong, without ever having gained a single yard for the Buccaneers. Cecil Johnson and Neal Colzie were placed on injured reserve.
- REFEREE: Tom Dooley
- UMPIRE: Davis Hamilton
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Slinger
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Marion
- BACK JUDGE: Brian Williams
- FIELD JUDGE: Jack Vaukhan
- SIDE JUDGE: Tom Quinby
- PACKERS: 11:59-1Q Epps 90 punt return (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 06:27-1Q Clark 75 pass from Dickey (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 14:52-2Q Huckleby 1 run (Stenerud kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:15-2Q Green 21 interception return (Capece kick)
- PACKERS: 08:39-2Q Coffman 1 pass from Dickey (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 06:57-2Q Douglass 35 fumble return (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 04:31-2Q Anderson 27 interception return (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 01:50-2Q Lofton 57 pass from Dickey (Stenerud kick)
- PACKERS: 13:35-4Q Stenerud FG19
- PACKERS: 06:39-4Q Stenerud FG27
- BUCCANEERS: 02:11-4Q Owens 2 run (Capece kick)
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #60 R. Grimes
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #58 G. Yarno
- RT: #70 K. Thomas
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #14 J. Thomas
- FB: #28 M. Carver
- TB: #26 J. Owens
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: ##56 C. Johnson
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brentley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #23 J. Castille
- RC: #21 J. Salt
- SS: #22 J. Smith
- FS: #41 M. Washington
- 1 Morton, 3 Capece, 5 Garcia, 11 Golsteyn, 20 Colzie, 24 Morris, 29 LaBeaux, 34 Brown, 54 Wood, 55 Spradlin, 57 Leonard, 59 Hawkins, 65 Stalls, 66 Reese, 69 Arbubakrr, 74 Sanders, 81 Tyler, 82 J Bell, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Obradovich, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Hewko, 32 Wilder, 43 Middleton, 72 Snell
- 62 Farrell
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 6-10, Morton 5-5, Thompson 1-4, Carver 2-1.
- PACKERS: Clark 11-56, Ivery 9-40, Huckleby 9-29, Ellis 9-26, Meade 2-12, Lofton 1-5, Whitehurst 1-(-4).
- BUCCANEERS: Thompson 28-16-217-2-0, Golsteyn 19-8-89-0-0.
- PACKERS: Dickey 15-10-267-1-3, Whitehurst 12-7-76-0-0, Ellis 1-1-20-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Carver 6-40, T.Bell 5-77, J.Bell 5-73, Carter 2-36, Tyler 2-30, Giles 2-27, House 2-23.
- PACKERS: Lofton 4-112, Jefferson 4-73, Lewis 3-56, Coffman 3-25, Clark 1-75, Huckleby 1-11, Ivery 1-10, Ellis 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Green 1-21.
- PACKERS: Anderson 1-27, Gray 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 5-103, Spradlin 2-28, Morton 1-18.
- PACKERS: McCoy 4-82, Huckleby 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Holt 2-61.
- PACKERS: Epps 5-129.
- BUCCANEERS: Brantley 1-8.
- PACKERS: Douglass 1, Lewis 1, Turner 1, Anderson 0.5, Johnson 0.5