WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 37 Green Bay Packers 03
Needing a win to maintain their playoff hopes, the Buccaneers broke a two-game losing streak while setting several team records, including most points scored and largest margin of victory.
The Packers appeared to be driving for a touchdown after Tampa Bay took an early 3–0 lead, but an injury to quarterback David Whitehurst forced the Packers to replace him with the inexperienced Rich Campbell. Shortly thereafter, Cedric Brown caught the first of Campbell's four interceptions while scoring a touchdown on an interception return for the second week in a row. The special teams performed well, with John Holt returning a punt 56 yards and Bill Capece kicking three field goals, including a Buccaneer-record 51-yarder.
For the first time ever, Tampa Bay went the entire game without having to punt.
Despite a league-worst rushing average, the Buccaneers ran for 212 yards, led by James Owens with 112. Owens' 35-yard touchdown run was the longest Buccaneer touchdown run in Tampa Stadium.
The win was attributed to several changes in coaching approach. As the offensive line was performing poorly due to injuries that kept them from maintaining a consistent lineup, McKay simplified the offense by calling the same plays repeatedly. McKay also allowed the team to practice without pads during the week, while instituting defensive changes designed to cut down on opponents' ability to control the ball through consistent short-yardage gains. He also took more of a hands-on approach to game day, giving a pep talk to the team prior to the game, and taking over the calling of the running plays.
Defensive end Bill Kollar suffered a cartilage tear that required season-ending knee surgery, although the possibility remained that he could be back for the playoffs.
- REFEREE: Jerry Seeman
- UMPIRE: Frank Sinkovitz
- LINE JUDGE: ohn Leimbach
- HEAD LINESMAN: Leo Miles
- BACK JUDGE: Paul Baetz
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill O'Brien
- SIDE JUDGE: Bill Quinby
- BUCCANEERS: 06:49-1Q Capece FG47
- BUCCANEERS: 14:46-2Q Brown 81 interception return (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:20-2Q Owens 35 run (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 01:55-2Q T.Bell 7 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:40-2Q Capece FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 13:38-2Q Capece FG51
- PACKERS: 09:58-4Q Stenerud FG53
- BUCCANEERS: 02:26-4Q Giles 2 pass from Fusina (Capece kick)
- WR: #83 T. Bell
- LT: #74 G. Sanders
- LG: #68 R. Snell
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- FB: #32 J. Wilder
- TB: #43 J. Eckwood
- LE: #77 B. Kollar
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #65 D. Stalls
- LOLB: #59 A. Hawkins
- LILB: #56 C. Johnson
- RILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #41 N. Thomas
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #20 N. Colzie
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 3 Capece, 9 Swider, 14 Fusina, 21 Holt, 26 Owens, 27 T Davis, 42 R Bell, 44 Cesare, 45 Mitchell, 51 Nafziger, 52 Brantley, 57 Lewis, 62 Leonard, 63 Selmon, 68 Yarno, 70 Hutchinson, 75 Reavis, 79 Campbell, 84 Jones, 86 Obradovich, 87 Carter, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 Ford
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 16-112, R.Bell 7-27, Wilder 8-25, Eckwood 6-22, Williams 3-13, Fusina 1-7, T.Davis 1-3, House 1-1.
- PACKERS: Huckleby 12-57, Ellis 8-35, Jensen 1-3, Dickey 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 23-15-199-1-1.
- PACKERS: Ellis 12-55, Huckleby 6-15, Jensen 2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Giles 4-53, Owens 4-44, Wilder 2-22, House 1-13, R.Bell 1-11, T.Bell 1-7.
- PACKERS: Ellis 11-76, Lofton 6-102, Coffman 2-35, Jefferson 2-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Brown 2-131, Holt 1-13, Colzie 1-6.
- PACKERS: Lee 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Holt 1-29.
- PACKERS: McCoy 4-82, Huckleby 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Holt 2-61.
- PACKERS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Stalls 1-11, Colzie 1-0.
- PACKERS: Turner 1-11, Butler 1-1.