LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 00 Green Bay Packers 13
The Green Bay Packers recovered reserve linebacker Jim Gueno's block of a Dave Green punt at the Buccaneers’ 24-yard line, which set up the only touchdown of the day and sealed a Packers victory.
It was the first time since November 24, 1974, that the Packers had recorded a shutout. Tampa Bay drives ended in penalties and turnovers, and the Buccaneers once drove all the way to the Packers’ 2-yard line before a Ricky Bell fumble ended their opportunity. Chester Marcol kicked two field goals, and Eric Torkelson rushed 22 times for 73 yards and the touchdown.
Gary Huff completed 12 of 22 passes before he was pulled in the fourth quarter. BuccaneersFans cheered when a sack laid Huff motionless on the turf with a cracked rib. Offensive line play continued to be criticized, as both Buccaneer quarterbacks suffered injuries. Randy Hedberg replaced Huff, and played the final series with a concussion. He had to be led off of the field to be hospitalized after the game. Both injuries were due to hits by Mike Butler.
Packers quarterback Lynn Dickey was sacked three times, and knocked out of the game. The Packers and Buccaneers entered the game with the league's 26th and 28th ranked offenses, respectively.
- REFEREE: Dick Jorgensen
- UMPIRE: Gerry Heart
- LINE JUDGE: Royal Cathcart
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dave Hawk
- BACK JUDGE: Ligouri Hagerty
- FIELD JUDGE: Dick Dolack
- PACKERS: 14:56-2Q Marcol FG40
- PACKERS: 00:55-2Q Marcol FG44
- PACKERS: 04:44-3Q Torkelson 5 run (Marcol kick)
- WR: #89 J. McKay
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #79 S. Wilson
- C: #51 D. Ryczek
- RG: #68 D. Medlin
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #83 D. Nafzinger
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #19 G. Huff
- RB: #35 J. DuBose
- RB: #28 A. Davis
- LE: #78 C. Randolph
- DT: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- OLB: #57 D. Lewis
- ILB: #61 D. Selmon
- ILB: #54 R. Wood
- OLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LC: #45 J. White
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #25 C. Jordan
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 9 Leavitt, 14 Hedberg, 23 Ragsdale, 32 L Carter, 33 Cotney, 42 Bell, 43 Williams, 46 Reece, 52 Harris, 53 Bonness, 59 Lemon, 64 Robinson, 65 R Johnson, 66 B Carter, 73 Hannah, 77 Kollar, 81 Hagins, 82 Butler, 87 Mucker
DID NOT PLAY
- 62 Winans
- 17 Blount, 80 Novak
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 10-32, DuBose 4-17, Davis 6-16, Williams 4-9, Huff 1-2, Carter 1-(-1).
- PACKERS: Torkelson 22-73, Smith 14-51, Simpson 2-2, Harrell 3-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: Huff 22-12-125-0-0, Hedberg 13-3-31-2-0.
- PACKERS: Dickey 15-11-115-1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Nafziger 4-62, Bell 2-24, Williams 2-11, Hagins 2-2, McKay 1-18, Mucker 1-17, Owens 1-9, Davis 1-7, DuBose 1-6.
- PACKERS: Torkelson 3-23, McGeorge 3-16, Vataha 2-8, Smith 1-42, Harrell 1-19, Odom 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: Washington 1-0.
- PACKERS: McCoy 1-2, Luke 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 2-58, Nafziger 1-4.
- PACKERS: Davis 1-11.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 4-24.
- PACKERS: Gray 4-41, Harrell 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Lewis 1-9, Johnson 1-9, L.Selmon 1-4.
- PACKERS: Pureifory 1-16, Barber 1-9, Randolph 1-9, Williams 1-9.