WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Detroit Lions 20
Mike Alstott and Michael Pittman each scored a rushing touchdown, but the visiting Buccaneers found themselves still tied 20–20 late in the fourth quarter with the 3–10 Lions.
With 3:04 to go, Martín Gramática broke the tie with a 38-yard field goal, and Tampa Bay held on for a 23–20 victory.
Injuries plagued the Buccaneers this week, as John Lynch sat out the game with a neck strain. Keyshawn Johnson left the game with a groin injury, and Anthony McFarland broke his right foot, and would miss the remainder of the season. Most notably, however, was quarterback Brad Johnson, who suffered a back injury during the game. He did not leave the game, but afterwards, the severity of the injury was more significant than originally known. He would be sidelined during practice the following week.
- REFEREE: Tom White
- UMPIRE: Jim Quirk
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Camp
- LINE JUDGE: Dave Anderson
- SIDE JUDGE: Joe Larrew
- BACK JUDGE: Bob Lawing
- FIELD JUDGE: Boris Cheek
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Hendi Ancich
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Jack Reader
- BUCCANEERS: 10:43-1Q Gramatica FG20
- BUCCANEERS: 14:17-2Q Alstott 1 run (Gramatica kick)
- LIONS: 11:24-2Q Schroeder 18 pass from McMahon (Hanson kick)
- LIONS: 05:53-2Q Hanson FG37
- BUCCANEERS: 00:17-2Q Gramatica FG28
- LIONS: 12:02-3Q Hanson FG25
- BUCCANEERS: 10:08-4Q Pittman 4 run (Gramatica kick)
- LIONS: 09:44-4Q McMahon 2 run (Hanson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 03:04-4Q Gramatica FG38
- WR: #19 K. Johnsonn
- LT: #72 R. Oben
- LG: #71 K. Jenkins
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #85 K. Dilger
- WR: #87 K. McCardell
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #32 M. Pittman
- FB: #40 M. Alstott
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #51 A. Singleton
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #38 J. Howell
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 7 Gramatica, 9 Tupa, 23 Phillips, 26 Smith, 27 Stecker, 30 Barnes, 31 Wansley, 35 Ivy, 43 Cook, 52 Webster, 58 Golden, 66 Benjamin, 74 Green, 75 Brown, 77 Washington, 80 Yoder, 83 Jurevicius, 86 Williams, 88 Dudley, 90 Gurley, 91 Darby, 95 Warner
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 King
- 11 Johnson,47 Lynch, 64 Goodspeed, 81 Lee, 84 Barlow, 89 Crawford, 93 Claybrooks, 96 Wyms
- BUCCANEERS: Alstott 11-47, Pittman 11-46, Stecker 4-28, B.Johnson 2-2.
- LIONS: Cason 10-62, Cooper 8-50, Schlessinger 6-31, McMahon 2-1.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 41-24-253-0-0.
- LIONS: Harrington 1-0-0-0-0, McMahon 21-10-158-1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: K.Johnson 6-90, Pittman 5-47, Dilger 3-35, Dudley 3-29, Alstott 3-23, McCardell 2-25, Stecker 2-4.
- LIONS: Schroeder 4-96, Cason 2-38, Ricks 1-9, Crowell 1-7, Schlessinger 1-6, Anderson 1-2
- BUCCANEERS: Quarles 1-4.
- LIONS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Stecker 5-148.
- LIONS: Drummond 5-197, Foster 1-26.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 2-(-2).
- LIONS: Drummond 3-4, Foster 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Barber 1-10.
- LIONS: none.