LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 Detroit Lions 23
Bill Capece did not make the trip to Detroit, reportedly having walked off of the practice field during the week due to McKay's public criticism of his performance.
The Buccaneers signed Dave Warnke, a rookie who had lasted with the Lions until the final roster cuts, but who had never attempted a regular-season NFL kick. When Warnke missed a field goal and an extra-point attempt, guard George Yarno became the first offensive lineman to kick an extra point in an NFL game.
Observers pointed out the irony of Warnke and Capece blaming their kicking troubles on instability at the snapper and holder positions, while the USFL-bound Yarno, a lineman who had not kicked since high school, connected on his only career attempt. The missed kicks provided the margin of defeat and nullified an effective passing attack.
Jack Thompson completed 28 of 43 passes for 373 yards, the second-highest total in Buccaneer history.
- REFEREE: Jerry Markbrait
- UMPIRE: Ed Fiffick
- LINE JUDGE: Bob Montgomery
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dale Hamer
- BACK JUDGE: Tom Kelleher
- FIELD JUDGE: Bob Stanley
- SIDE JUDGE: Mike Douglas
- BUCCANEERS: 01:13-1Q J.Bell 4 pass from Thompson (Warnke kick)
- LIONS: 10:02-2Q Sims 3 run (Murray kick)
- LIONS: 03:49-2Q Murray FG34
- BUCCANEERS: 01:12-2Q House 20 pass from Thompson (kick failed)
- LIONS: 10:27-3Q Murray FG36
- LIONS: 08:52-4Q Murray FG38
- LIONS: 02:32-4Q Chadwick 6 pass from Danielson (Murray kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 01:22-4Q Carter 13 pass from Thompson (Yarno kick)
- WR: #85 M. Whitte
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #72 R. Snell
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Ferrell
- RT: #68 G. Yarno
- TE: #82 J. Bell
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #14 J. Thompson
- FB: #46 A. Armstrong
- HB: #28 M. Carver
- LE: #66 B. Reese
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #78 J. Cannon
- LOLB: #51 E. Judie
- LILB: #55 D. Spradlin
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #21 J. Holt
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #43 B. Reece
- 1 Morton, 2 Warnke, 5 Garcia, 22 Smith, 23 Castille, 26 Owens, 24 Morris, 41 Thomas, 44 Middleton, 54 Wood, 56 Thompson, 57 Leonard, 58 Davis, 69 Arbubakrr, 77 Bujnoch, 81 Tyler, 83 T Bell, 86 Obradovich, 87 Carter, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 7 Komlo, 11 Golsteyn, 63 Selmon, 70 Thomas, 74 Sanders, 88 Giles
- 3 Capece
- BUCCANEERS: Carver 23-44, Thompson 1-0.
- LIONS: Jones 14-69, Sims 15-56, Bussey 1-6, Danielson 2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Thompson 42-28-373-1-3.
- LIONS: Danielson 12-9-143-0-0, Hipple 15-9-80-0-0, Jones 1-0-0-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: House 8-136, Carver 8-67,Carter 5-82, J.Bell 3-49, Tyler 1-16, T.Bell 1-13, Armstrong 1-5, Witte 1-5.
- LIONS: Sims 5-81, Jones 5-38, Chadwick 4-46, Rubick 2-21, Thompson 1-23, Nichols 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- LIONS: Cobb 1-13.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 4-47, Middleton 1-10, Armstrong 1-10.
- LIONS: Hall 2-51, Jenkins 1-19.
- BUCCANEERS: T.Bell 1-7, Holt 1-0.
- LIONS: Martin 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Brantley 1-11, Cannon 1-5.
- LIONS: Green 1-9, English 1-9, Cofer 1-6.