WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 Detroit Lions 10
In front of the largest crowd to ever attend a regular-season game by Buccaneers Fans, the Tampa Bay defense held Billy Sims, in only his second year the Lions' career leader in 100-yard games, to only 75 yards rushing while forcing six turnovers.
Several other potential interceptions were dropped. The Buccaneers were held to only 49 yards rushing, but Doug Williams compensated by passing for four touchdowns. Williams was dazed by a blow to the head from Lions tackle Doug English, but returned to the game.
The Lions' only touchdown was set up by a botched first-quarter punt attempt. Coming after an Eddie Murray field goal, it produced a 10–0 Lions lead that had the crowd cheering when an airplane carrying a "Throw McKay in the Bay" banner flew overhead shortly afterward. Williams then hit Kevin House with two touchdown passes, the second of which was controversial due to replays that showed it inconclusive whether House had both feet in bounds. It was speculated that House was given the benefit of the doubt due to pass interference not having been called on the previous play, when Jimmie Giles was tackled before Williams could even get the pass off. After the concussion, Williams returned to throw touchdown passes to James Wilder and Jim Obradovich.
Gordon Jones, Ricky Bell and Lee Roy Selmon all missed the game for the Buccaneers, while Jeff Komlo replaced injured Lions quarterback Gary Danielson.
It was believed to be the first Buccaneer game in which neither Selmon played.
- REFEREE: Gene Barth
- UMPIRE: Bob Boylston
- LINE JUDGE: Bob McLaughlin
- HEAD LINESMAN: Burl Toler
- BACK JUDGE: J.W. Sanders
- FIELD JUDGE: Fritz Graf
- SIDE JUDGE: Dean Look
- LIONS: 08:38-1Q Murray FG50
- LIONS: 06:33-1Q Scott 5 pass from Komlo (Murray kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:33-2Q House 17 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 01:04-2Q House 13 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 13:21-4Q Wilder 37 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 03:25-4Q Obradovich 6 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- WR: #83 T. Bell
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #68 G. Yarno
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #74 G. Sanders
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- FB: #32 J. Wilder
- TB: #43 J. Eckwood
- WR: #89 K. House
- LE: #77 B. Kollar
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #65 D. Stalls
- LOLB: #59 A. Hawkins
- LILB: #56 C. Johnson
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- RILB: #54 R. Wood
- LC: #41 N. Thomas
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #20 N. Colzie
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 3 Capece, 9 Swider, 14 Fusina, 21 Holt, 26 Owens, 27 T Davis, 28 G Davis, 44 Cesare, 45 Mitchell, 51 Nafziger, 52 Brantley, 57 Lewis, 62 Leonard, 70 Hutchinson, 72 Snell, 73 Hannah, 86 Obradovich, 87 Carter, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 Ford, 42 R Bell, 63 Selmon, 84 Jones
- BUCCANEERS: Eckwood 16-21, Owens 2-18, Wilder 5-17, Williams 1-2, Swider 1-(-9).
- LIONS: Sims 24-75, Bussey 6-15, Hipple 2-4, Scott 1-0, Komlo 2-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 29-13-168-1-4.
- LIONS: Komlo 25-14-153-2-1, Hipple 15-4-102-2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 4-65, House 3-40, T.Bell 3-34, Eckwood 2-23, Obradovich 1-6.
- LIONS: Scott 5-97, Hill 3-46, King 3-7, Sims 2-11, Nichols 1-59, Thomson 1-19, Kane 1-15, Bussey 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Johnson 2-36, Brown 2-34.
- LIONS: Cobb 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 3-55.
- LIONS: Martin 2-39, Harrell 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: T.Bell 3-18.
- LIONS: Martin 5-45.
- BUCCANEERS: Kollar 1-9, Logan 1-7.
- LIONS: Pureifoy 1-6.