LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 Detroit Lions 27
Despite the Lions having received news of their elimination from contention for the division title only minutes into the game, they were noticeably more motivated to win than the Buccaneers were.
Tampa Bay took an early lead on Dave Logan's 60-yard fumble recovery touchdown, but the Lions answered the score on their next possession. The Buccaneers struggled to move the ball all day, gaining only 40 yards on the ground. The Buccaneers were also able to stop Billy Sims and the Lions' running game, but Gary Danielson had much success passing.
Doug Williams completed only 13 of 37 passes, with two interceptions. Lions receiver Ray Williams caught a 22-yard touchdown pass from Danielson, while Sims contributed a 1-yard touchdown run and Eddie Murray kicked two field goals.
The Buccaneers still had a shot at victory after Williams hit Kevin House for a 32-yard fourth-quarter touchdown, but Ray Williams returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown.
- REFEREE: Jerry Seeman
- UMPIRE: Frank Sinkovitz
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Botchan
- HEAD LINESMAN: Leo Miles
- BACK JUDGE: Paul Baetz
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill O'Brien
- SIDE JUDGE: Bill Quinby
- BUCCANEERS: 11:05-1Q Logan 60 fumble return (Yepremian kick)
- LIONS: 06:22-1Q Sims 1 run (Murray kick)
- LIONS: 06:41-2Q Williams 22 pass from Danielson (Murray kick)
- LIONS: 07:40-3Q Murray FG24
- LIONS: 10:45-4Q Murray FG35
- BUCCANEERS: 08:49-4Q House 32 pass from Williams (Yepremian kick)
- LIONS: 08:32-4Q Williams 91 kickoff return (Murray kick)
- WR: #84 G. Jones
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #68 G. Yarno
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #74 G. Sanders
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- RB: #27 T. Davis
- RB: #28 G. Davis
- LE: #77 B. Kollar
- NG: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 D. Lewis
- SILB: #61 D. Selmon
- WILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #25 C. Jordan
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 1 Yepremian, 16 Blanchard, 20 Colzie, 27 T Davis, 36 Berns, 41 Thomas, 42 Bell, 46 Reece, 52 Brantley, 55 Brown, 59 Hawkins, 62 Leonard, 65 Stalls, 72 Snell, 78 Radford, 79 Lewis, 81 Hagins, 82 Shumann, 86 Obradovich
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fusina, 43 Eckwood, 69 Austin, 87 Carter
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 3-31, J.Davis 2-4, Bell 7-3, Berns 4-2, G.Davis 1-0.
- LIONS: Kane 6-48, Sims 12-16, Bussey 3-9, Danielson 3-3, King 1-1, Robinson 1-0, Scott 1-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 37-13-186-2-1.
- LIONS: Danielson 44-29-360-0-1.
- BUCCANEERS: House 5-95, Jones 4-40, Giles 1-23, Shumann 1-11, J.Davis 1-9, T.Davis 1-8.
- LIONS: King 6-64, Thompson 5-106, unknown 4-69, Hill 4-69, Bussey 4-21, Sims 3-13, Williams 2-22, Kane 1-(-4).
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- LIONS: Allen 2-10.
- BUCCANEERS: G.Davis 3-47, Reece 1-23.
- LIONS: Kane 2-46, Williams 1-91.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 4-5.
- LIONS: Williams 8-64.
- BUCCANEERS: L.Selmon 3-20, Johnson 1-8.
- LIONS: Allen 1-8, McCoy 1-5.