LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Detroit Lions 34
The Detroit Lions gained 404 yards in the Buccaneers’ worst defensive performance since 1976.
Horace King became only the third running back in two seasons to gain 100 yards against the Buccaneers. Three defenders missed tackles on his 75-yard touchdown run. Gary Danielson completed 15 of 24 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns, both to David Hill. John McKay blamed the poor performance on mental errors, such as three defenders covering one receiver while the other remained open. The Lions also took advantage of the inexperience of middle linebacker Rik Bonness, who was playing at the unfamiliar outside linebacker position due to injuries to Cecil Johnson and Dana Nafziger.
The depletion of the linebacker corps required a shift to a 4–3 defense, which the players had difficulty adjusting to.
McKay said, "If I had a gun, I would have shot our guys", of all the receivers left open. Buccaneers quarterbacks were sacked eight times, five times by Bubba Baker. The Buccaneers scored on touchdown passes from Mike Rae to Jim Obradovich and from Gary Huff to George Ragsdale. Neil O'Donoghue kicked three field goals, including a club-record 49-yarder.
The loss left the Buccaneers and Lions tied for last place in the NFC Central.
- REFEREE: Gordon McCarter
- UMPIRE: Tony Kramer
- LINE JUDGE: Jack Fette
- HEAD LINESMAN: Jerry Seeman
- BACK JUDGE: Ray Douglas
- FIELD JUDGE: Armen Terzi
- SIDE JUDGE: Bill Quinby
- BUCCANEERS: 01:08-1Q Hill 2 pass from Danielson (Ricardo kick)
- LIONS: 12:34-2Q Obradovich 12 pass from Rae (O'Donoghue kick)
- LIONS: 11:13-2Q O'Donoghue FG27
- LIONS: 10:49-2Q King 75 run (Ricardo kick)
- LIONS: 04:51-2Q O'Donoghue FG49
- LIONS: 00:45-3Q Hill 14 pass from Danielson (Ricardo kick)
- LIONS: 04:46-4Q Bussey 1 run (Ricardo kick)
- LIONS: 13:01-4Q Ricardo FG38
- LIONS: 11:18-4Q O'Donoghue FG28
- LIONS: 07:02-4Q Ricardo FG28
- LIONS: 01:54-4Q Ragsdale 31 pass from Huff (O'Donoghue kick)
- WR: #86 J. Obradovich
- TE: #75 D. Reavis
- LT: #65 R. Johnson
- LG: #79 S. Wilson
- C: #68 D. Medlin
- RG: #70 D. Carlton
- RT: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #10 M. Boryla
- RB: #38 J. Davis
- FB: #42 R. Bell
- LE: #73 C. Hannah
- T: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LLB: #57 D. Lew
- LLB: #61 D. Solmon
- RLB: #54 R. Wood
- RLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LC: #45 J. White
- FS: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- RC: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 6 O'Donoghue, 19 Huff, 23 Ragsdale, 25 Jordan, 28 White, 32 L Carter, 44 Cesare, 46 Reece, 55 Brown, 65 Johnson, 68 Medlin, 71 Crowder, 77 Kollar, 83 Grant, 84 Farmer, 87 Mucker, 88 Giles
DID NOT PLAY
- 51 Nafziger, 60 Chambers
- 12 Williams, 56 Johnson, 70 Carlton
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 18-70, Davis 6-22, Rae 1-14, Carter 1-7.
- LIONS: King 12-104, Bussey 12-47, Gaines 6-33, O'Neil 1-25, Kane 2-3, Danielson 3-3, Scott 1-(-1), Thompson 1-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: Rae 17-10-89-0-1, Huff 5-2-37-0-1, Green 1-1-25-0-0.
- LIONS: Danielson 24-15-206-1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 4-25, Giles 2-19, Ragsdale 1-31, Reece 1-25, Owens 1-16, Obradovich 1-12, Grant 1-9, Mucker 1-8, J.Davis 1-6.
- LIONS: Hill 7-106, Bussey 3-9, King 1-31, Scott 1-20, Blue 1-19, Thompson 1-12, Kane 1-9.
- BUCCANEERS: Jordan 1-1.
- LIONS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Ragsdale 4-105, Carter 1-21, Obradovich 1-17, Giles 1-17.
- LIONS: Blue 1-60, Thompson 1-26, Scott 1-20, Terry 1-20.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 2-13.
- LIONS: Thompson 3-38.
- BUCCANEERS: L.Selmon 1-13.
- LIONS: Baker 5-38, Pureifory 1.5-11, Woodcock 1-10, Washington 0.5-3.