LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 New York Jets 62
***HISTORIC MARKER*** Most points scored against the Buccaneers and one of the highest in NFL History. It was assumed this was payback for the December 16, 1984 season ending game whe coach John McKay let the Jets score to ensure another Buccaneers possession to allow James Wilder an opportunity to secure an NFL russing record.
After the Buccaneers took a 14–0 lead on a recovery of a Ken O'Brien fumble and Steve DeBerg touchdown passes to Kevin House and Calvin Magee, the Jets' offense caught fire, scoring a team-record 62 points.
Players afterward denied that they were thinking about revenge for the previous season's "Buc Flop" incident, in which James Wilder was approaching an NFL record, and the Buccaneer defense allowed the Jets to score a touchdown in an attempt to get the ball back so that Wilder could get more carries.
O'Brien passed for 367 yards and 5 touchdowns, with Al Toon catching 6 of his passes for 133 yards. Mickey Shuler tied a Jets record with three touchdown receptions. Jeremiah Castille intercepted an O'Brien pass, but then fumbled it back to Wesley Walker.
- REFEREE: Gordon McCarter
- UMPIRE: Bob Wagner
- LINE JUDGE: Jack Fette
- HEAD LINESMAN: Terry Gierke
- BACK JUDGE: Jerry Sanders
- FIELD JUDGE: Pat Mallette
- SIDE JUDGE: Dean Look
- BUCCANEERS: 13:16-1Q House 39 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:49-1Q Magee 7 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- JETS: 07:21-1Q Hector 2 run (Leahy kick)
- JETS: 04:48-1Q Walker 22 pass from O'Brien (Leahy kick)
- JETS: 03:14-1Q Leahy FG23
- JETS: 14:55-2Q Shuler 11 pass from O'Brien (Leahy kick)
- JETS: 07:36-2Q Shuler 10 pass from O'Brien (Leahy kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:19-2Q Wilder 2 run (Igwebuike kick)
- JETS: 02:35-2Q Shuler 8 pass from O'Brien (Leahy kick)
- JETS: 00:02-2Q Leahy FG27
- JETS: 13:06-3Q Toon 78 pass from O'Brien (Leahy kick)
- JETS: 04:33-3Q Hector 8 run (Leahy kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:47-3Q Wilder 1 run (Igwebuike kick)
- JETS: 01:24-4Q Paige 1 run (Leahy kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #62 S. Farrell
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #68 R. Mallory
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- TE: #86 C. Magee
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #54 E. Randle
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #51 C. Washington
- LCB: #23 J. Castille
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #31 C. Curry
- FS: #44 I. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 20 Springs, 24 Prior, 26 Easmon, 30 Greenwood, 40 Armstrong, 55 D Johnson, 56 C Johnson, 57 Browner, 64 Shearin, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 71 Studaway, 75 Lindstrom, 79 Kaplan, 80 Dunn, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Young, 61 Kersten
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 14-13, DeBerg 2-9.
- JETS: Hector 21-79, Bligen 12-59, McNeil 8-41, Paige 8-24, Sohn 1-2, Ryan 2-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 32-16-198-0-2.
- JETS: O'Brien 30-23-367-1-5, Ryan 3-2-19-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: House 6-92, Magee 4-35, Carter 3-42, Giles 2-19, Wilder 1-10.
- JETS: Shuler 7-84, Toon 6-133, Walker 5-75, Hector 3-43, Sohn 2-37, Paige 1-10, McNeil 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Castille 1-3.
- JETS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 5-117, Prior 4-47.
- JETS: Glenn 2-24, Townsell 1-19, Humphrey 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Prior 1-5.
- JETS: Townsell 3-46, Sohn 2-30, Humphery 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Holmes 1-7.
- JETS: Klecko 0.5-4, Lyons 0.5-4.