LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Jacksonville Jaguars 24
Tampa bay faced in-state rival Jacksonville Jaguars for the fourth time in the regular season. Injured Jacksonville starting quarterback David Garrard was replaced by Quinn Gray, while Jeff Garcia hoped to extend on a 217-consecutive passing streak without an interception.
In the first half, Jacksonville's running attack of Fred Taylor, LaBrandon Toefield and Maurice Jones-Drew rushed 15 times in their first 16 plays from scrimmage, and eventually set up a 10–3 lead. In the second quarter, Garcia threw his first interception of the season, which was returned for a Jacksonville score. Tampa Bay quickly responded, however, driving 81 yards in three plays, capped off with Garcia and Joey Galloway connecting for a 58-yard touchdown.
A momentum shift appeared to occur near the end of the second quarter, as Tampa Bay forced Jacksonville into a 3-and-out. Inside the two-minute warning, Garcia drove the Buccaneers to the 4-yard line. Garcia scrambled on 3rd & 10, colliding with Reggie Nelson, losing his helmet, but fell one yard short of the first down. Tampa Bay settled for a Matt Bryant field goal, and a 13–17 halftime deficit.
Tampa Bay's defense dominated the third quarter, forcing Jacksonville a turnover on downs, a fumble in the end zone (recovered by Gray on 1-yard line), and a blocked punt. The good field position led to Michael Bennett's first touchdown as a Buccaneer.
The fourth quarter saw Jacksonville re-take the lead with an 8-yard touchdown pass. Despite two late drives starting with decent field position, Tampa Bay's effort died when Garcia's pass was deflected and intercepted with 19 seconds remaining, his third pick of the game. The loss dropped Tampa Bay to 4–4, second place in the NFC South.
- REFEREE: Gene Steratore
- UMPIRE: Carl Madsen
- HEAD LINESMAN: Paul Weidner
- LINE JUDGE: Tom Barnes
- SIDE JUDGE: Barry Anderson
- FIELD JUDGE: Doug Rosenbaum
- BACK JUDGE: Tony Steratore
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Al Hynes
- Video Operator: not documented
- BUCCANEERS: 07:26-1Q Bryant FG44
- JAGUARS: 01:31-1Q Toefield 1 run (Carney kick)
- JAGUARS: 07:25-2Q Carney FG41
- JAGUARS: 07:09-2Q Glenn 28 interception return (Carney kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:45-2Q Galloway 58 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:15-2Q Bryant FG22
- BUCCANEERS: 03:19-3Q Bennett 19 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:05-3Q Bryant FG42
- JAGUARS: 11:37-4Q Jones 8 pass from Gray (Carney kick)
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- WR: #85 M. Stovall
- WR: #19 I. Hilliard
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- RB: #34 E. Graham
- RB: #29 M. Bennett
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #93 K. Carter
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- RCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 15 Lucas, 22 Davis, 26 Allen, 27 Cox, 29 Bennett, 39 Pearson, 44 Storer, 48 Economos, 56 Nece, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 68 Lehr,86 Stevens, 87 Heinrich, 88 Becht, 90 Adams, 91 White, 96 Peterson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 5 Gradkowski, 69 Davis
- 12 McCown, 25 Kelly, 32 Pittman, 50 Trotter, 54 Chukwurah, 72 Buenning, 80 Clayton, 81 Smith
- BUCCANEERS: Graham 14-62, Garcia 4-45, Bennett 2-23, Hilliard 1-6.
- JAGUARS: Taylor 24-68, Jones-Drew 10-48, Toefield 6-12, Northcutt 1-5, Gray 3-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 41-19-267-3-1.
- JAGUARS: Gray 16-7-100-0-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 6-115, Stovall 5-47, Hilliard 3-23, Stevens 2-45, Askew 2-25, Graham 1-12.
- JAGUARS: Jones-Drew 2-14, Estandia 1-30, Jones 1-18, Williams 1-17, Wilford 1-13, Jones 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- JAGUARS: Glenn 1-28, Knight 1-10, Nelson 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: ucas 2-35, Stovall 1-22, Buchanon 1-16, Cox 1-14.
- JAGUARS: Toefield 3-57, Starks 2-33, Wrighster 1-29.
- BUCCANEERS: Buchanon 3-36, Galloway 1-10, Hilliard 1-0.
- JAGUARS: Northcutt 3-30.
- BUCCANEERS: White 0.5-5, Adams 0.5-5, Team 1-4.
- JAGUARS: Meier 1-5-13, Stroud 0.5-5.