LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 Jacksonville Jaguars 17
NFL Record: Keenan McCardell, who became the 17th player in NFL history to catch 700 passes in a career. Eairlier in the same game Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith became 16th player to reach the same milestone.
An uninspired performance against in-state rival Jacksonville (who had a 2–9 record going into the game) on Sunday Night Football saw 80 yards of penalties, turnovers, and blown chances. Tampa Bay fell to 5–7 on the season.
The Buccaneers were confident they had developed a plan in closing out games. The offense gained only 69 yards and gave the ball away on a Brad Johnson interception during the first half, the Jaguars gained 208 yards, including 137 during the first 17 minutes of game play.
The Jaguars jumped to a 7-0 lead within the first 17 minutes against a defense that struggled to stop the pass, the Jaguars moved into scoring position on each of their first three possessions. The only thing that prevented them from scoring were questionable play calls and poor execution. The most questionable of the calls was Coach Jack Del Rio's failed decision to go-for-it on fourth-and-two from the Buccaneers 24 at the end of the Jaguars' first drive.
The Buccaneers finally got in the end zone aided by a 15-yard penalty early in the drive, Tampa Bay moved 56 yards in 11 plays and tied the game with a 5-yard, Thomas Jones run, with 8:12 remaining in the first half.
Moving the ball proved to be a struggle for the Buccaneers this game, but they still took the lead with a Martin Gramatica 47-yard field goal with 5:05 left.
The Jaguars offense came back and tied it in the final sixty-seconds of the game, hitting a 28-yard field goal from Marler that came at the end of an 11-play, 60-yard drive.
- REFEREE: Tony Corrente
- UMPIRE: Darrell Jenkins
- HEAD LINESMAN: Aaron Pointer
- LINE JUDGE: Mark Steinkerchner
- SIDE JUDGE: Doug Toole
- FIELD JUDGE: Craig Wrolstad
- BACK JUDGE: Don Carey
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Duck Creed
- Video Operator: Buddy Ward
- JAGUARS: 13:46-2Q Brady 10 pass from Leftwich (Marler kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:30-2Q Jones 5 run (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:10-2Q Gramatica FG47
- JAGUARS: 00:14-2Q Marler FG28
- JAGUARS: 10:31-4Q Smith 48 pass from Leftwich (Marler kick)
- WR: #82 C. Lee
- LT: #72 R. Oben
- LG: #71 K. Jenkins
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #85 K. Dilger
- WR: #87 K. McCardell
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- RB: #32 M. Pittman
- FB: #43 J. Cook
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #56 R. Nece
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- RCB: #31 T. Wansley
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #26 D. Smith
- 7 Gramatica, 9 Tupa, 22 Jones, 23 Phillips, 27 Stecker, 30 Barnes, 34 Gibson, 35 Ivy, 44 Ciurciu, 52 Webster, 57 Rudd, 65 Whittle, 66 Benjamin, 74 Green, 80 Yoder, 83 Jurevicius, 84 Barlow, 86 K Williams, 88 Dudley, 90 White, 91 Darby, 96 Wyms
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 King
- 2 Simms, 19 Johnson, 28 Robinson, 59 Smith, 62 King, 79 Mahan, 81 R Williams, 89 Heller
- BUCCANEERS: Pittman 10-60, Jones 7-11, B.Johnson 2-6.
- JAGUARS: Taylor 29-118, Toefield 2-9, Fuamatu-Ma'afala 1-5, Leftwich 3-3.
- BUCCANEERS: B.Johnson 38-21-156-1-0.
- JAGUARS: Leftwich 34-20-224-0-2.
- BUCCANEERS: McCardell 8-74, Lee 6-47, Jones 2-21, Cook 2-8, Pittman 2-6, Dilger 1-0.
- JAGUARS: Smith 10-136, Brady 3-32, Edwards 3-24, Taylor 3-12, Johnson 1-20.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- JAGUARS: Peterson 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 1-25, Barlow 1-21, Yoder 1-8.
- JAGUARS: Allen 3-66.
- BUCCANEERS: Barlow 1-1.
- JAGUARS: Allen 2-29.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- JAGUARS: Stroud 2-12.