LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 New York Giants 22
Freshly signed kicker Eric Schubert kicked five field goals to help the highly favored New York Giants to edge past the Buccaneers. Four times, the Giants had possession of the ball in the red zone, but were held to field goals.
Heavy Buccaneer blitzes failed to stop Joe Morris from rushing for 132 yards, making Morris the first Giant in two years to have consecutive 100-yard games. A last-minute rally appeared to have brought the Buccaneers in position to attempt a game-winning field goal, but a holding penalty on Sean Farrell erased Adger Armstrong's reception at the Giants' 38-yard line, and Terry Kinard intercepted a DeBerg pass on the next play.
Farrell criticized the call at the time, but Bennett later confirmed that it was correct, although he questioned why the only holding penalty of the entire game would be called in that situation.
Craig Curry started at safety, leaving David Greenwood on the bench. U-back (a second tight end position) Jerry Bell suffered a season-ending knee injury. His backup, Calvin Magee, also went out with an injured knee, although it didn't require immediate surgery.
- REFEREE: Dick Jorgensen
- UMPIRE: Neil Gereb
- LINE JUDGE: Dick McKenzie
- LINESMAN: Ron Phares
- BACK JUDGE: Roy Clymer
- FIELD JUDGE: Johnny Grier
- SIDE JUDGE: Dave Hawk
- GIANTS: 08:44-1Q Schubert FG24
- BUCCANEERS: 06:57-1Q Igwebuike FG53
- BUCCANEERS: 11:27-2Q Giles 25 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- GIANTS: 03:00-2Q Schubert FG36
- BUCCANEERS: 00:07-2Q Igwebuike FG20
- GIANTS: 09:59-3Q Morris 1 run (Schubert kick)
- GIANTS: 02:11-3Q Schubert FG24
- GIANTS: 12:59-4Q Schubert FG41
- GIANTS: 08:32-4Q Schubert FG33
- BUCCANEERS: 02:27-4Q Giles 1 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #62 S. Farrell
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #68 R. Mallory
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #12 S. DeBerg
- TE: #32 J. Wilder
- RB: #82 J. Bell
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOB: #57 K.Browner
- LIB: #58 J. Davis
- RIB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROB: #51 C. Washington
- LC: #23 J. Castille
- RC: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #31 C. Curry
- FS: #44 I. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 20 Springs, 24 Prior, 25 Howard, 30 Greenwood, 40 Armstrong, 54 Randle, 55 D Johnson, 56 C Johnson, 59 Kubin, 64 Shearin, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 75 Lindstrom, 79 Kaplan, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Magee
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Young, 61 Kersten
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 21-75, Springs 3-7, Armstrong 2-6.
- GIANTS: Morris 26-132, Adams 8-39, Carthon 1-3, Simms 2-1, Carpenter 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 42-21-239-1-2.
- GIANTS: Simms 31-18-204-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 6-55, House 4-65, J.Bell 4-36, Giles 3-56, Wilder 2-20, Magee 1-4, Armstrong 1-3.
- GIANTS: Manuel 4-50, McConkey 3-33, Galbreath 3-30, Bavaro 3-24, Carpenter 2-18, Adams 1-30, Johnson 1-12, Morris 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- GIANTS: Kinard 1-30.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 5-105, Prior 1-14.
- GIANTS: Adams 4-77.
- BUCCANEERS: Prior 1-14.
- GIANTS: McConkey 4-44.
- BUCCANEERS: Logan 2-16, Curry 1-8, Cannon 0.5-6.5, Washington 0.5-6.5.
- GIANTS: Martin 1.5-7.5, Patterson 0.5-3.5.