LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 Atlanta Falcons 13
Quarterback Jeff Garcia, as well as Cato June, sat out of the game with injuries, and Brian Griese started for the Buccaneers. Penalties and defense dominated the game, a key matchup in the NFC South playoff race.
Leading 10–0 in the second quarter, Matt Ryan threw deep to the endzone, but was intercepted by Aqib Talib. On Atlanta's nxt drive, Ronde Barber intercepted Ryan, setting the Buccaneers up at the 33-yard line. With 15 seconds remaining in the half, Brian Griese connected for a 20-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Bryant.
Midway through the third quarter, Matt Ryan completed a pass to Jason Rader, who ran for the endzone. Before he crossed the goal line, however, Jermaine Phillips punched the ball from his grasp, and it was recovered in the endzone by Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers' ensuing possession, however, came up empty, as Griese himself was intercepted past midfield.
The next five possessions by both teams resulted in punts. In an attempt to tie the score with 3:43 remaining, Matt Bryant's field goal sailed wide left. The Falcons were held to a 3-and-out, and lined up for a punt with 2:37 to go. Michael Koenen's punt was blocked, and Sabby Piscitelli returned it to the 22. After driving to the 9-yard line, the Buccaneers settled for a game-tying field goal, and forced overtime.
In overtime, the Buccaneers won the toss, but were forced to punt. With just over 4 minutes remaining in the overtime period, Jason Elam kicked a game-winning field goal for the Falcons.
- REFEREE: Terry McAulay
- UMPIRE: Bruce Stritesky
- HEAD LINESMAN: Wayne Mackie
- LINE JUDGE: Mark Steinkerchner
- SIDE JUDGE: Michael Banks
- BACK JUDGE: Robert Lawing
- FIELD JUDGE: Dyrol Prioleau
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Not Documented
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- FALCONS: 6:50-1Q Elam FG26
- FALCONS: 1:01-1Q Turner 1 run (Elam kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:11-2Q A.Bryant 20 pass from Griese (M.Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:44-4Q M.Bryant FG38
- FALCONS: 4:04-OT Elam FG34
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- TE: #86 J. Stevens
- QB: #08 B. Griese
- RB: #28 W. Dunn
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #97 J. Wilkerson
- DT: #98 R. Sims
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 19 Hilliard, 21 Piscitelli, 22 Smith, 24 Williams, 25 Talib, 26 Allen, 30 Nicholson, 33 Cook, 43 Mack, 48 Economos, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 71 Haye, 77 Lee, 79 Mahan, 81 Smith, 86 Stevens, 87 Clark, 91 White, 96 Peterson
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown
- 7 Garcia 10 Jackson, 11 Johnson, 29 Herron, 50 McCoy, 76 Zuttah, 84 Galloway, 95 Hovan
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 14-59, Dunn 12-40.
- FALCONS: Turner 32-152, Ryan 6-19, Douglas 1-11, Norwood 4-(-7).
- BUCCANEERS: Griese 37-26-269-1-1.
- FALCONS: Ryan 23-15-206-2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: A.Bryant 8-108, Dunn 7-50, Clayton 3-41, Hilliard 3-29, Stevens 2-27, Gilmore 1-12, A.Smith 1-2, Williams 1-0.
- FALCONS: White 4-61, Jenkins 3-55, Turner 2-30, Norwood 2-24, Rader 1-26, Peelle 1-5, Finneran 1-4, Mughelli 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Talib 1-0, Barber 1-(-2).
- FALCONS: Foxworth 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 4-72.
- FALCONS: Norwood 3-56.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 3-16.
- FALCONS: Douglas 4-37.
- BUCCANEERS: Jackson 1-8.
- FALCONS: Abraham 3-33, Jackson 1-10.