WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27 Atlanta Falcons 24
Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Atlanta Falcons met on Christmas Eve with playoff berths for both teams at stake. The game turned into a shootout, and Atlanta led 24–17 late in the fourth quarter. Facing 4th down and 1, and trailing by 7, Cadillac Williams scored a 6-yard touchdown run with 31 seconds remaining. In overtime, Tampa Bay won the coin toss and elected to receive. Edell Shepherd, however, fumbled the opening kickoff, and Atlanta recovered at the Buccaneers' 18-yard line. Fans began to leave the stadium as Atlanta lined up for a chip-shot 20 yard game-winning field goal attempt. Todd Peterson's field goal was blocked by Dewayne White, and Tampa Bay recovered. Fans were seen scrambling back to their seats as the Buccaneer's hopes for victory were still alive.
The Buccaneers quickly drove to the Atlanta 9-yard line, and lined up for a game-winning field goal try. Matt Bryant's kick sailed wide left, though, and the game continued. Both teams traded punts, then Atlanta punted to Tampa Bay with 1:08 remaining in overtime. Tampa Bay drove to the 23-yard line, and avoided a tie when Bryant connected on a 41-yard game winning field goal with 15 seconds left in the overtime period.
Meanwhile, Dallas defeated Carolina 24–20, which meant that a win by Tampa Bay Buccaneers in week 17 would clinch the NFC South title.
- REFEREE: Bill Leavy
- UMPIRE: Richard Hall
- HEAD LINESMAN: Mark Baltz
- LINE JUDGE: Charles Stewart
- SIDE JUDGE: Don Carlsen
- BACK JUDGE: Kirk Dornan
- FIELD JUDGE: Rob Vernatchi
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Neil Gereb
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- FALCONS: 3:27-1Q Griffith 4 pass from Vick (Peterson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:20-1Q Cook 9 pass from Simms (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:50-2Q Alstott 11 pass from Simms (Bryant kick)
- FALCONS: 3:19-2Q Jenkins 8 pass from Vick (Peterson kick)
- FALCONS: 0:09-3Q Peterson FG31
- BUCCANEERS: 9:01-4Q Bryant FG50
- FALCONS: 4:18-4Q Duckett 2 run (Peterson kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:25-4Q Williams 6 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:15-OT Bryant FG42
- QB: #02 C. Simms
- TE: #88 A. Becht
- LT: #69 A. Davis
- LG: #72 D. Buenning
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #79 S. Mahan
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- TE: #81 A. Smith
- FB: #40 M. Alstott
- WR: #84 J. Galloway
- RB: #24 C. Williams
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- NT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #92 A. McFarland
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- SLB: #56 R. Nece
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #25 B. Kelly
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #23 J. Phillips
- FS: #34 D. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 19 Hilliard, 21 Bolden, 26 Allen, 27 Cox, 28 Nicholson, 32 Pittman, 33 Graham, 39 Pearson, 43 Cook, 51 Ruud, 54 Mallard, 75 Steussie, 77 Terry, 80 Clayton, 83 Moore, 86 Shepherd, 89 Jones, 90 White, 91 Bradley, 96 Wyms
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown
- 13 Rattay, 22 Watson, 46 Adams, 58 Cooper, 61 Colmer, 64 Bryant, 74 Jackson, 89 Heller
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 31-150, Pittman 4-17, Alstott 1-5, Simms 1-2.
- FALCONS: Vick 11-63, Dunn 14-59, Duckett 11-32.
- BUCCANEERS: Simms 42-29-285-2-2.
- FALCONS: Vick 26-16-161-0-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Galloway 8-97, Smith 8-75, Pittman 4-17, Alstott 3-32, Becht 2-28, Clayton 1-11, Williams 1-10, Cook 1-9, Hilliard 1-6.
- FALCONS: Crumpler 4-63, Jenkins 4-54, White 3-31, Griffith 2-4, Dunn 1-5, Finneran 1-4, McCrary 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- FALCONS: Hall 1-65, Brooking 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Shepherd 5-110, Graham 1-11.
- FALCONS: Cobb 5-104.
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 6-55.
- FALCONS: Cobb 1-8, Finneran 0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Rice 2-17, Jackson 1-16, Brooks 1-1.
- FALCONS: Coleman 1-11, Kerney 1-4.