LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 Atlanta Falcons 30
While still mathematically alive for the playoffs, the Buccaneers needed a victory over division rival Atlanta. A pitiful first half saw Brad Johnson throw two interceptions, and the Falcons jumped out to a 27–7 lead at halftime. Fans were heard booing the team as they went into the locker room at the half.
With just under four minutes remaining in regulation, Tampa Bay trailed 30–14. Falcons' T. J. Duckett fumbled on first & goal at the Tampa Bay 4 yard line, and the Buccaneers recovered. Four plays later, Johnson connected to Keenan McCardell for a 76-yard touchdown. A two-point conversion trimmed the score to 30–22.
Tampa Bay recovered an onside kick, and scored another touchdown with 34 seconds remaining. A second two-point conversion would have tied the game, and forced overtime. The pass failed, and Tampa Bay was eliminated from playoff contention, losing the game 30–28 to the Falcons.
Just six days before the game, former Buccaneers general manager Rich McKay was named the president and general manager of the Falcons. He spent the game in the visitor's press box, and presided over the Falcon's defeat of Tampa Bay.
- REFEREE: Ron Winter
- UMPIRE: Jeff Rice
- HEAD LINESMAN: Sanford Rivers
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Marinucci
- SIDE JUDGE: Michael Banks
- BACK JUDGE: Perry Paganelli
- FIELD JUDGE: Gene Steratore
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Al Hymes
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Not Documented
- FALCONS: 9:36-1Q Feely FG26
- FALCONS: 0:44-1Q Crumpler 6 pass from Vick (Feely kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 6:35-2Q Dudley 3 pass from Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- FALCONS: 1:53-2Q Finneran 13 pass from Vick (Feely kick)
- FALCONS: 1:01-2Q Bolden 41 interception return (Feely kick))
- FALCONS: 0:00-2Q Feely FG38
- FALCONS: 3:40-3Q Feely FG37
- BUCCANEERS: 11:27-4Q Lee 3 pass from Johnson (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:20-4Q McCardell 76 pass from Johnson (Williams pass)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:27-4Q Cook 11 pass from Johnson (pass failed)
- QB: #14 B. Johnson
- TE: #85 K. Dilger
- LT: #72 R. Oben
- LG: #71 K. Jenkins
- C: #76 J. Wade
- RG: #60 C. Coleman
- RT: #67 K. Walker
- RB: #22 T. Jones
- WR: #87 K. McCardell
- WR: #82 C. Lee
- FB: #43 J. Cook
- RE: #97 S. Rice
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- LE: #94 G. Spires
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- MLB: #53 S. Quarles
- SLB: #56 R. Nece
- RCB: #26 D. Smith
- LCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #23 J. Phillips
- 3 Shepherd, 7 Gramatica, 9 Tupa, 21 Frost, 27 Stecker, 28 Whitaker, 32 Pittman, 34 Gibson, 35 Ivy, 52 Webster, 57 Rudd, 61 Pinkney, 65 Whittle, 66 Benjamin, 74 Green, 80 Yoder, 84 Barlow, 86 K Williams, 88 Dudley, 90 White, 91 Darby
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 King, 38 Martin
- 2 Simms, 19 Johnson, 28 Robinson, 62 King, 79 Mahan, 81 R Williams, 89 Heller, 95 Wilson
- BUCCANEERS: Jones 17-73, Pittman 4-20, Johnson 1-1.
- FALCONS: Duckett 27-93. Vick 12-39, Griffith 3-16.
- BUCCANEERS: Johnson 48-34-346-4-4.
- FALCONS: Vick 15-8-119-0-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Lee 10-88, Pittman 9-85, McCardell 6-122, Jones 4-14, Cook 2-19, Dilger 1-9, Williams 1-6, Dudley 1-3.
- FALCONS: Rice 4-76, Griffith 1-16, Finneran 1-13, Kozlowski 1-8, Crumpler 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- FALCONS: Bolden 1-41, Newman 1-29, Scott 1-3, Carpenter 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Stecker 2-47, Jones 2-35, White 1-7.
- FALCONS: Rossum 3-43.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 1-6, Barlow 0-0.
- FALCONS: Rossum 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- FALCONS: none