WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30 Miami Dolphins 20
***HISTORIC MARKER*** The season opener against the Miami Dolphins was postponed until November 19 because of Hurricane Irma. The NFL's decision to switch the game to Week 11 was due to a bye week for both teams. The league officials had decided against moving it to a neutral site.
Hurricane Irma was an extremely powerful and catastrophic Cape Verde-type hurricane, the strongest observed in the Atlantic since Wilma in 2005 in terms of maximum sustained winds. It was the first Category 5 hurricane to strike the Leeward Islands on record, followed by Hurricane Maria two weeks later, and is unofficially the second-costliest Caribbean hurricane on record, which was also surpassed by Hurricane Maria in the same year. It was also the most intense Atlantic hurricane to strike the United States since Katrina in 2005, and the first major hurricane to make landfall in Florida since Wilma in 2005. The ninth named storm, fourth hurricane, second major hurricane, and first Category 5 hurricane of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season, Irma caused widespread and catastrophic damage throughout its long lifetime, particularly in parts of the northeastern Caribbean, Florida Keys and flooding in Miami.
The Buccaneers and the Dolphins finally met on what should have been each other's bye week Sunday, November 19, 2017.
The Tampa Bay victory was the first consecutive time this year with a 30-20 win. The defense created 4 turnovers in the first half, 3 interceptions and one fumble. Ryan Fitzpatrick started once again, finishing with over 270 passing yards and 2 touchdowns.
Dolphins second half comeback tied the score only to stutter due to a late Buccaneers drive into FG range and Patrick Murray’s 35-yard fieldgoal the decisive score.
With this win, the Bucs move to 4-6.
- REFEREE: Tony Corrente
- UMPIRE: Alan Eck
- DOWN JUDGE: Ed Walker
- LINE JUDGE: Bart Longson
- FIELD JUDGE: Buddy Horton
- SIDE JUDGE: Ryan Dickson
- BACK JUDGE: Todd Prukop
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Terri Valenti
- MICROSOFT SURFACE SIDELINE OFFICIAL: not documented
- BUCCANEERS: 07:13-1Q Murray FG30
- DOLPHINS: 04:23-1Q Landry 2 pass from Cutler (Parkey kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:10-2Q Murray FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 12:14-2Q Howard 6 pass from Fitzpatrick (Murray kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:45-2Q Jackson 4 pass from Fitzpatrick (Murray kick)
- DOLPHINS: 10:57-3Q Parkey FG26
- DOLPHINS: 04:19-3Q Parkey FG31
- DOLPHINS: 03:00-4Q Stills 61 pass from Moore (Parkey kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:04-4Q Murray FG35
- BUCCANEERS: 00:00-4Q Glanton fumble recovery in endzone (Murray kick)
- WR: #11 D. Jackson
- TE: #84 C. Brate
- LT: #76 D. Smith
- LG: #64 K. Pamphile
- C: #74 A. Marpet
- RG: #73 J. Sweezy
- RT: #69 D. Dotson
- WR: #13 M. Evans
- TE: #80 O. Howard
- QB: #14 R. Fitzpatrick
- RB: #22 D. Martin
- DE: #91 R. Ayers Jr.
- DT: #93 G. McCoy
- DT: #90 C. Baker
- DE: #95 R. Russell
- CB: #36 R. McClain
- MLB: #58 K. Alexander
- WLB: #54 L. David
- CB: #29 R. Smith
- CB: #24 B. Grimes
- S: #43 T. Ward
- S: #21 J. Evans
- 7 Murray, 9 Anger, 10 Humphries, 12 Godwin, 16 Martino, 23 Conte, 25 Barber, 26 Robinson, 32 Rodgers, 34 Sims, 35 Elliott, 37 Tandy, 51 Beckwith, 52 Lynch, 53 Glanton, 56 Tapp, 59 Bond, 62 E Smith, 65 Sanborn, 66 Wester, 82 Auclair, 94 Clarke, 98 McDonald.
DID NOT PLAY
- 4 Griffin
- 3 Winston, 28 Hargreaves, 68 Hawley, 77 Benenoch, 88 Stocker, 92 Gholston, 96 Siliga
- BUCCANEERS: Martin 19-38, Fitzpatrick 3-9, Sims 1-3, Rodgers 1-3.
- DOLPHINS: Williams 10-78, Drake 7-4, Cutler 1-1, Moore 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Fitzpatrick 37-22-275-0-2.
- DOLPHINS: Cutler 12-6-83-3-1, Moore 28-17-282-0-1..
- BUCCANEERS: Evans 5-92, Howard 3-52, Sims 3-25, Godwin 2-38, Jackson 2-28, Humphries 2-11, Barber 2-11, Martin 2-6, Brate 1-12.
- DOLPHINS: Stills 7-180, Landry 6-95, Thomas 4-30, Parker 4-26, Williams 1-24, Drake 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Alexander 1-20, Evans 1-11, McClain 1-6.
- DOLPHINS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Rodgers 2-53.
- DOLPHINS: Grant 3-81, Williams 1-(-7), Landry 0-(-5).
- BUCCANEERS: Humphries 1-7.
- DOLPHINS: Landry 2-20, Grant 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: McCoy 1-0.
- DOLPHINS: Phillips 1-7.