WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 22 Miami Dolphins 19
***HISTORIC MARKER*** The Buccaneers defense allowed a franchise low 2 rushing yards, besting the previous record set last season during the home opener, when the Buccaneers rushing defense held Carolina to 10 rushing yards.
Darrelle Revis caught the game winning interception off a desperation pass from Ryan Tannehill, and the Buccaneers won their first game of the season against the Miami Dolphins.
The defense sacked Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill twice before intercepting him on the final fourth-down play of Miami’s last drive. The sacks — Da’Quan Bowers and rookie William Gholston shared the first while Gerald McCoy got the second — and a Darrelle Revis interception ignighted the Buccaneersfans.
Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano enjoyed the second victory of his past 15 games, Schiano pumping his fist in the air as he ran through the tunnel into the locker room. “It’s a good feeling to be able to stand up here after a win,” Schiano said. “It had that same feel going down the backstretch, but our guys bowed up and made some plays in the clutch. That was something that was much needed."
Tampa Bay running back Mike James, fractured his ankle early in the game and likely will miss the rest of the season. James, ran five times for 41 yards before going down at the end of the Buccaneers’ first drive on Monday Night Football. After the injury Brian Leonard rushed for an additional 57 yards on 20 carries and 45 more added during eight carries by Rainey (31 yards on one play). “It’s weird because technically we had three running backs go down this week," Schiano said, referring to the previous loss of backs Doug Martin and Jeff Demps. “So, to have the two remaining do such a good job is big. Brian, we knew he was a good kid when we got him during the offseason, and Bobby, he’s only been here a couple of weeks and I thought the best thing he did tonight was secure the football."
Buccaneers #70 Donald Penn had a hand in the Dolphins victory, and not just as a run blocker or pass protector. He was the pass catcher on the Buccaneers’ first touchdown, a 1-yard Mike Glennon pass. “I’ve been lobbying for that play all season long,’’ said Penn, who dunked the ball over the goal post after he scored. “You know I love basketball. The first time (I scored a touchdown in 2010), I didn’t know how to act. This time, I had a plan."
- REFEREE: Jeff Triplette
- UMPIRE: Butch Hannah
- HEAD LINESMAN: Phil McKinnely
- LINE JUDGE: Jeff Bergman
- SIDE JUDGE: David Wyant
- FIELD JUDGE: Barry Anderson
- BACK JUDGE: Steve Freeman
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Al Hynes
- VIDEO OPERATOR: not documented
- BUCCANEERS: 09:37-1Q Penn 1 pass from Glennon (Lindell kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:27-1Q Lindell FG24
- BUCCANEERS: 13:52-2Q Safety - Thomas tackled in endzone by David
- BUCCANEERS: 09:01-2Q Lindell FG35
- DOLPHINS: 00:28-2Q Matthews 6 pass from Tannehill (Sturgis kick)
- DOLPHINS: 07:57-3Q Sturgis FG40
- DOLPHINS: 02:01-3Q Matthews 19 pass from Tannehill (pass failed)
- DOLPHINS: 00:10-3Q Sturgis FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 10:19-4Q Rainey 1 run (Lindell kick)
- WR: #83 V. Jackson
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #79 J. Meredith
- C: #76 J. Zuttah
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #69 D. Dotson
- TE: #84 T. Crabtree
- WR: #11 T. Underwood
- QB: #08 M. Glennon
- RB: #25 M. James
- FB: #41 E. Lorig
- LE: #50 D. Te'o-Nesheim
- DT: #93 G. McCoy
- DT: #97 A. Spence
- RE: #94 A. Clayborn
- MLB: #59 M. Foster
- WLB: #54 L. David
- LCB: #24 D. Revis
- RCB: #27 J. Banks
- SS: #23 M. Barron
- FS: #38 D. Goldson
- CB: #29 L. Johnson
- 4 Lindell, 9 Koenen, 17 Page, 18 Dawson, 21 Adams, 30 Leonard, 35 McCray, 37 Tandy, 43 Rainey, 46 Larsen, 48 Economos, 52 Casillas, 56 Watson, 57 Hayward, 58 Glaud, 62 Larsen, 72 Carimi, 81 Wright, 89 Shepard, 91 Bowers, 92 Gholston, 95 Gibson
DID NOT PLAY
- 6 Orlovsky, 90 Landri
- 33 Carr, 36 Gorrer, 49 McDougald, 66 Omameh, 77 Nicks, 80 Owusu, 96 Means
- BUCCANEERS: Leonard 20-57, Rainey 8-45, James 5-41, Glennon 4-(-3).
- DOLPHINS: Miller 7-2, Tannehill 1-2, Clay 2-0, Thomas 4-(-2).
- BUCCANEERS: Glennon 21-11-139-1-1.
- DOLPHINS: Tannehill 42-27-229-1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Underwood 3-64, Jackson 3-28, Leonard 2-16, Wright 1-19, Rainey 1-11, Penn 1-1.
- DOLPHINS: Matthews 11-120, Hartline 5-57, Clay 4-21, Wallace 4-15, Miller 2-9, Egnew 1-7.
- BUCCANEERS: Revis 1-0.
- DOLPHINS: Wilson 1-23.
- BUCCANEERS: Dawson 2-42, Rainey 1-15.
- DOLPHINS: Thigpen 2-30.
- BUCCANEERS: Page 2-55, Dawson 0-17.
- DOLPHINS: Thigpen 1-34.
- BUCCANEERS: McCoy 1-10, Gholston 0.5-4, Bowers 0.5-4.
- DOLPHINS: Carroll 1-10, Ellerbe 1-5.