WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 Miami Dolphins 13
Tampa Bay traveled to take on their in-state rivals, the Miami Dolphins. Steady rain made for sloppy conditions, but the Buccaneer defense dominated the game. Tampa Bay intercepted Jay Fiedler four times, and forced a fumble midway through the fourth quarter. With just over 8 minutes remaining, Martin Gramatica made a 46-yard field goal in the pouring rain, and the Buccaneers held on to win.
With less than three minutes to play, the Dolphins entered the Buccaneer's territory but were unable to advance the ball any further, and a Matt Turk punt pinned the Bucs at their own 2. On third down on the drive, Shaun King threw a screen pass to Warrick Dunn in the end zone with the Dolphins closing in, but Dunn broke a tackle at the goal line and got back to the line of scrimmage, preventing a safety. On the next play, Mark Royals boomed a 54 yard punt, and good coverage kept the Dolphins starting at midfield rather than needing a single first down to get into field goal range with 2:08 left. A pass interference call against Brian Kelly put the ball at the 24 yard line and in kicker Olindo Mare's range when Fiedler made the worst play of the day. Fiedler dropped back and threw the ball away while he was still in the tackle box, resulting in an intentional grounding penalty. The penalty pushed the Dolphins only to the brink of Mare's range, and on the next play, Fiedler threw his fourth interception.
- REFEREE: Bill Carollo
- UMPIRE: Butch Hannah
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tom Stabile
- LINE JUDGE: Ben Montgomerty
- SIDE JUDGE: John Parry
- BACK JUDGE: Scott Green
- FIELD JUDGE: Tim Millis
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Bob Mantooth
- VIDEO OPERATOR: Don Langeloh
- DOLPHINS: 04:22-1Q Mare FG35
- BUCCANEERS: 14:50-2Q Duncan 31 interception return (Gramatica kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:12-2Q Gramatica FG38
- DOLPHINS: 08:25-3Q Mare FG31
- DOLPHINS: 04:22-3Q Smith 1 run (Mare kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:00-4Q Gramatica FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 08:30-4Q Gramatica FG46
- WR: #81 J. Green
- LT: #69 P. Pierson
- LG: #64 R. McDaniel
- C: #62 J. Christy
- RG: #73 F. Middleton
- RT: #71 J. Wunsch
- TE: #83 D. Moore
- WR: #19 K. Johnson
- QB: #10 S. King
- RB: #28 W. Dunn
- FB: #48 C. Kirby
- LE: #72 C. Ahanotu
- NT: #92 A. McFarland
- DT: #99 W. Sapp
- RE: #78 M. Jones
- SLB: #53 S. Quarles
- MLB: #59 J. Duncan
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #21 D. Abraham
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #47 J. Lynch
- FS: #24 D. Robinson
- 3 Royals, 7 Gramatica, 25 Kelly, 27 Abdullah, 31 Young, 33 Vance, 34 Jackson, 46 Gibson, 50 Gooch, 52 Webster, 58 Davis, 68 Unutoa, 75 Washington, 79 Hegamin, 80 Yoder, 82 Hape, 85 Anthony, 86 Williams, 94 White, 97 Jackson, 98 Cannida
DID NOT PLAY
- 15 Zeier, 60 Coleman
- 14 Hamilton, 22 Stecker, 40 Alstott, 51 Singleton, 65 Dogins, 76 Curry, 87 Murphy, 95 McLaughlin
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 28-59, King 6-27, Abdullah 4-14.
- DOLPHINS: Smith 23-79, Denson 2-3, Fiedler 2-2.
- BUCCANEERS: King 15-11-147-1-0.
- DOLPHINS: Fiedler 28-13-175-4-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 6-84, Johnson 4-41, Moore 1-22.
- DOLPHINS: Martin 5-67, Gadsden 4-75, Konrad 2-21, Smith 1-8, McDuffie 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Duncan 1-31, Quarles 1-5, Abraham 1-0, Robinson 1-0.
- DOLPHINS: Walker 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 2-32, Abdullah 1-16.
- DOLPHINS: Denson 3-64, Johnson 1-26.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 3-10.
- DOLPHINS: Ogden 2-9.
- BUCCANEERS: Cannida 1-5.
- DOLPHINS: Armstrong 1-13, Thomas 1-3, Surtain 1-3, Gardener 0.5-3.5, Taylor 0.5-3.5.