LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 Miami Dolphins 33
This was the 13th consecutive road loss for the Buccaneers, who fought hard for three quarters Sunday - the first, third and fourth. The Dolphins dominated the second quarter scoring on six consecutive possessions. Running back Mark Higgs accounted for most of the yardage and by halftime, after averaging nearly 8 yards per carry racked up 103 finishing with 131 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries.
Dan Marino, passed for 307 yards and two touchdowns - including a 26-yarder to wide receiver Tony Martin with 18 seconds left in the first half to make it 24-7. The Buccaneers have been outscored in the second quarter 57-0 in their past two road games. The Tampa Bay defense entered Sunday's game ranked ninth overall in the NFL. "I don't understand it," Bucs linebacker Jesse Solomon said. "It seems like we go away, we don't play so good. We come back home and, hell, it's like we're a playoff-contending team. We fight our a-- off. We've got to learn to play good football away from the house as well as we do in the house."
Vinny Testaverde, playing his first game in Miami since turning pro five years ago, completed 5 of 6 passes while driving the Bucs 47 yards in 10 plays for their first score. On fourth-and-1 from Miami's 2, tailback Reggie Cobb rushed untouched to the left corner of the end zone for a 7-0 Tampa Bay lead. "I was looking forward to going out there in front of the fans who saw me at Miami (in college)," Testaverde said. "It was a big game for me and, certainly, I didn't want it to go this way."
Testaverde finished with 21-of-39 for 224 yards and a touchdown, was intercepted once, sacked four times and watched the Dolphins hold the Buccaneers to just 59 yards on the ground.
- REFEREE: Johnny Grier
- UMPIRE: Ed Coukart
- LINE JUDGE: Jim Quirk
- SIDE JUDGE: Don Wedge
- HEAD LINESMAN: Jerry Bergman
- BACK JUDGE: Jim Kearney
- FIELD JUDGE: Scott Green
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Dave Hawk
- BUCCANEERS: 07:49-1Q Cobb 2 run (Christie kick)
- DOLPHINS: 14:45-2Q Duper 6 pass from Marino (Stoyanovich kick)
- DOLPHINS: 10:32-2Q Stoyanovich FG41
- DOLPHINS: 04:08-2Q Higgs 19 run (Stoyanovich kick)
- DOLPHINS: 00:18-2Q Martin 26 pass from Marino (Stoyanovich kick)
- DOLPHINS: 08:40-3Q Stoyanovich FG24
- DOLPHINS: 03:45-3Q Stoyanovich FG19
- DOLPHINS: 03:38-4Q Stoyanovich FG30
- BUCCANEERS: 01:54-4Q Dawsey 17 pass from Testaverde (Christie kick)
- WR: #88 M. Carrier
- LT: #74 P. Gruber
- LG: #73 T. McHale
- C: #61 I. Mayberry
- RG: #62 I. Beckles
- RT: #72 R. Taylor
- TE: #82 R. Hall
- WR: #80 L. Dawsey
- QB: #14 V. Testeverde
- TE: #34 R. Cobb
- RB: #20 R. Wilson
- LE: #92 D. Manley
- NT: #96 T. Newton
- RE: #79 R. Davis
- LOLB: #52 K. McCants
- LILB: #59 K. Murphy
- RILB: #55 J. Solomon
- ROLB: #51 B. Thomas
- LCB: #29 R. Reynolds
- RCB: #44 C. Carter
- SS: #25 T. Covington
- FS: #23 M. Carter
- 2 Christie, 3 Royals, 22 Hampton, 24 Jones, 27 Fullington, 32 Highsmith, 33 Frizzell, 36 Hardy, 40 Anderson, 56 Anno, 57 Chamblee, 58 Tiggle, 64 Ryan, 66 Hall, 70 McRae, 76 Dill, 77 Nichols, 85 Anthony, 87 Drewrey, 89 Anderson
DID NOT PLAY
- 7 Carlson, 69 Bruhin
- 4 O'Hara, 86 Thomas
- BUCCANEERS: Cobb 15-60, Anderson 1-(-1).
- DOLPHINS: Higgs 25-131, Smith 7-31, Paige 2-5, Logan 2-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Testaverde 39-21-224-1-1.
- DOLPHINS: Marino 32-20-307-0-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Dawsey 8-100, Hall 5-54, Carrier 3-30, G Anderson 2-24, Anthony 1-13, Drewrey 1-9, Cobb 1-(-6).
- DOLPHINS: Martin 5-106, Duper 5-47, Jensen 4-42, Edmunds 3-47, Clayton 2-53, Smith 1-12.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- DOLPHINS: Oliver 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: G.Anderson 4-111.
- DOLPHINS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Carter 1-1, Drewrey 0-0.
- DOLPHINS: Miller 5-51.
- BUCCANEERS: Newton 1-10.
- DOLPHINS: Griggs 1-7, Turner 1-5, Klingbell 1-4.