LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 38 Miami Dolphins 41
***HISTORIC MARKER*** Buccaneers Tight end #88 Jimmie Giles' 4 touchdowns and 24 points scored remain, as of 2012, the all-time Tampa Bay record.
For the third week in a row, the Buccaneers suffered a close loss to one of the NFL's best teams. This time, it was a final-period rally in which the Buccaneers outscored the Dolphins 17–3. Don Shula said of Jimmie Giles, "I can't remember any other tight end dominating us that way", after Giles caught 7 passes for 116 yards and 4 touchdowns against the Dolphins' man-to-man coverage.
James Wilder evaded Hugh Green on Tampa Bay's first touchdown, a 10-yard run. Green reported playing "the worst game of my career" and feeling lost in Miami's defensive scheme, although he produced the Dolphins' only interception of the day.
With starting linebackers Jeff Davis and Scot Brantley out with injuries, and Green no longer with the team, the Buccaneers were defenseless against the Dolphins' attack. Fuad Reveiz scored the winning field goal with 6 seconds remaining.
The loss, combined with an Atlanta Falcons victory, left the Buccaneers as the league's only winless team at 0–7.
- REFEREE: Jerry Seeman
- UMPIRE: Rex Stuart
- LINE JUDGE: Bama Glass
- HEAD LINESMAN: Bill Reynolds
- BACK JUDGE: Paul Baetz
- FIELD JUDGE: Jack Vaughn
- SIDE JUDGE: Bob Rice
- DOLPHINS: 10:50-1Q Moore 16 pass from Marino (Reveiz kick)
- DOLPHINS: 02:31-1Q Jensen 4 pass from Marino (Reveiz kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:48-2Q Wilder 10 run (Igwebuike kick)
- DOLPHINS: 10:04-2Q Davenport 1 run (Reveiz kick)
- DOLPHINS: 08:09-2Q Reveiz FG20
- BUCCANEERS: 00:12-2Q Giles 15 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- DOLPHINS: 12:00-3Q Nathan 1 run (Reveiz kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:15-3Q Giles 39 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- DOLPHINS: 02:46-3Q Hardy 3 pass from Marino (Reveiz kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:08-4Q Giles 7 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 07:32-4Q Giles 16 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: Igwebuike FG38
- DOLPHINS: 00:06-4Q Reveiz FG43
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #66 G Yarno
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- TE: #88 J. Bell
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #57 K. Browner
- LILB: #52 S. Bratley
- RILB: #58 J. Davis
- ROLB: #51 M. Washington
- LCB: #23 J. Castille
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #30 D. Greenwood
- FS: #44 I. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 24 Prior, 25 Howard, 29 Bright, 31 Curry, 40 Armstrong, 54 Randle, 56 Johnson, 59 Kubin, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 68 Mallory, 75 Lindstrom, 79 Kaplan, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Magee
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Young, 20 Springs, 64 Shearin
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 24-98, DeBerg 1-13.
- DOLPHINS: Hampton 13-78, Nathan 12-62, Davenport 4-6, Marino 2-(-2)
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 32-19-365-1-4.
- DOLPHINS: Marino 39-27-302-1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Giles 7-116, J.Bell 5-89, House 4-111, Carter 2-45, Wilder 1-4.
- DOLPHINS: Nathan 8-80, Clayton 5-50, Moore 5-49, Hardy 3-21, Rose 2-66, Hampton 2-21, Harris 1-11, Jensen 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Castille 1-11.
- DOLPHINS: Green 1-28.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 3-49, Bright 2-28.
- DOLPHINS: Hampton 2-49.
- BUCCANEERS: Bright 1-1.
- DOLPHINS: Clayton 2-14.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- DOLPHINS: none.