LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 Dallas Cowboys 28
In a reversal of the previous two weeks, the Buccaneers set several team offensive records, but were unable to come away with a win as their defense was unable to stop the Dallas offense.
Doug Williams had his best day yet, completing 17 of 30 passes for 258 yards while rushing seven times for 77 yards and a touchdown. Williams' 335 total yards, the team's 442 total yards, and the team's 312 first-half yards all set new team records. Cowboys quarterback Danny White threw for 244 yards and three touchdowns, and Tony Dorsett carried 20 times for 100 yards.
After Jimmie Giles beat Dallas safeties Charlie Waters and Dennis Thurman for a second-quarter touchdown, Waters and Thurman took turns intercepting Williams in the second half. Waters' interception led to the Cowboys' game-winning drive, while Thurman's interception ended any hopes of a Buccaneer comeback.
Missing three starters, the defense was unable to put any pressure on White. A fourth starter, Cecil Johnson, was lost in the second half.
- REFEREE: Chuck Heberling
- UMPIRE: Gordon Wells
- LINE JUDGE: Dale Orem
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ray Dodez
- BACK JUDGE: Al Jury
- FIELD JUDGE: Charley Musser
- SIDE JUDGE: Dave Parry
- COWBOYS: 08:12-1Q Johnson 28 pass from White (Septien kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:40-1Q Williams 11 run (Yepremian kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:25-2Q Yepremian FG32
- BUCCANEERS: 02:39-2Q Giles 49 pass from Williams (Yepremian kick)
- COWBOYS: 00:46-2Q Dupree 9 pass from White (Septien kick)
- COWBOYS: 03:45-3Q Newhouse 2 run (Septien kick)
- COWBOYS: 06:59-4Q Dupree 9 pass from White (Septien kick)
- WR: #84 G. Jones
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #72 R. Snell
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #81 I. Hagins
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- RB: #42 R. Bell
- RB: #43 J. Eckwood
- LE: #77 B. Kollar
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 D. Lewis
- SILB: #55 A. Browh
- WILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #25 C. Jordan
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #46 D. Reece
- 1 Yepremian, 16 Blanchard, 20 Colzie, 27 T Davis, 28 G Davis, 36 Berns, 41 Thomas, 52 Brantley, 59 Hawkins, 62 Leonard, 65 Stalls, 68 Yarno, 70 Calhoun, 74 Sanders, 86 Obradovich, 87 Mucker, 89 House
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fusina, 15 Rae, 34 Brown, 38 J Davis, 58 Selmon, 79 Lewis
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 15-91, Williams 7-77, Eckwood 10-36.
- COWBOYS: Dorsett 20-100, Newhouse 11-41, Springs 2-7, Jones 1-2, White 2-(-4).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 30-17-258-2-1.
- COWBOYS: White 33-24-244-0-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Giles 4-105, Eckwood 4-69, Hagins 3-34, Bell 3-12, Jones 1-18, House 1-11, Obradovich 1-9.
- COWBOYS: Dorsett 6-46, Hill 5-72, DuPree 5-32, Saldi 4-41, Johnson 3-47, Newhouse 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- COWBOYS: Shurman 1-29, Waters 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: J.Davis 3-82, Reece 1-23.
- COWBOYS: Hurt 2-42, Jones 2-37.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 2-7.
- COWBOYS: Jones 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- COWBOYS: Dutton 1-11, Martin 1-9.