LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 07 Dallas Cowboys 23
Tampa Bay players Gary Huff and Anthony Davis returned from injuries to make their first starts for the team.
The Buccaneers’ projected running back tandem of Davis at halfback and Ricky Bell at fullback finally materialized, although this would be its only appearance before McKay settled on Bell and Jimmy DuBose as his starters. The Buccaneers were not displeased with Randy Hedberg's performance at quarterback over the first two games, but Huff's experience was welcomed against a confusing Dallas defense.
While the offense was again held scoreless, Richard Wood returned a Tony Dorsett fumble 37 yards for the Buccaneers’ first touchdown of the season, and then mocked Cowboy Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson's earlier interception celebration by spiking the ball over the goalposts.
Wood returned a second interception 29 yards. Several Cowboys complained of excessive trash-talking from the Buccaneers, and Cecil Johnson in particular. Johnson, who roomed with Dorsett in college and claimed close friendship with him, tore Dorsett's helmet off and punched him in the nose on consecutive plays.
Numerous costly injuries occurred: a season-ending knee injury to Bob Moore meant that the team's only remaining tight end was Dana Nafziger, who also suffered injuries to his knee and wrist. Ricky Bell and Jimmy DuBose both went out early. Gary Huff played the game in a knee brace, while starters Jeff Winans, Dave Lewis, and Jack Novak did not play at all.
- REFEREE: Bernie Ulman
- UMPIRE: Tony Kramer
- LINE JUDGE: Jack Staffen
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tony Veteri
- BACK JUDGE: Ben Tompkins
- FIELD JUDGE: Pat Mallette
- COWBOYS: 08:04-1Q Herrera FG32
- COWBOYS: 03:50-1Q Henderson 79 interception return (Herrera kick)
- COWBOYS: 00:05-1Q Newhouse 17 run (Herrera kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 09:43-2Q Wood 40 fumble return (Leavitt kick)
- COWBOYS: 02:47-2Q Herrera FG19
- COWBOYS: 08:36-3Q Herrera FG20
- WR: #89 J. McKay
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #79 S. Wilson
- C: #51 D. Ryczek
- RG: #68 D. Medlin
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #86 B. Moore
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #19 G. Huff
- RB: #28 A. Davis
- RB: #42 R. Bell
- LE: #78 C. Rudolph
- DT: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- OLB: #52 P. Harris
- ILB: #61 D. Selmon
- ILB: #54 R. Wood
- OLB: #54 C. Johnson
- LC: #45 J. White
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 9 Leavitt, 25 Jordan, 32 L Carter, 35 DuBose, 36 Winfrey, 43 Williams, 46 Reece, 53 Bonness, 57 Lewis, 59 Lemon, 64 Robinson, 65 R Johnson, 66 B Carter, 73 Hannah, 77 Kollar, 81 Hagins, 83 Nafziger, 87 Mucker
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Hedberg, 17 Blount
- 62 Winans, 80 Novak
- BUCCANEERS: Davis 15-30, DuBose 6-23, Carter 6-16, Bell 3-7, Huff 1-2, Williams 1-(-2).
- COWBOYS: Newhouse 16-73, Dorsett 10-72, P.Pearson 12-56, D.Pearson 1-11, Staubach 3-(-7).
- BUCCANEERS: Huff 23-8-107-2-0.
- COWBOYS: Staubach 24-15-212-1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 4-57, Davis 1-30, Williams 1-9, McKay 1-7, Hagins 1-4.
- COWBOYS: P.Pearson 5-65, Dupree 3-47, D.Pearson 2-39, Saldi 2-17, Johnson 1-20, Dorsett 1-16, Richards 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: Wood 1-29.
- COWBOYS: Henderson 2-79.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 5-118, Davis 1-19.
- COWBOYS: Johnson 2-39.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 2-1, Reece 1-3.
- COWBOYS: Johnson 6-88.
- BUCCANEERS: Rudolph 0.5-1, Pear 0.5-1.
- COWBOYS: Jones 1-11, Martin 1-9.