LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Indianapolis Colts 31
Steve Young threw for a career-high 251 yards, but threw two late-game interceptions that ended the team's chances for a rally.
The game opened with a 59-yard pass to Kevin House, the team's longest pass in 30 games.
The attendance of 25,577 shattered the team's previous record-low attendance, and the 17,419 no-shows were also a record.
The 55-degree weather was also a record, the coldest-ever for a game in Tampa Stadium.
In only their fourth win of the season, the Colts rushed for 257 yards, and scored 14 fourth-quarter points to come from behind for the win. Along with the interceptions, they were aided by two fourth-quarter fumbles. Randy McMillan led Colts rushers, with 108 yards. George Wonsley rushed for two touchdowns, and Albert Bentley one.
The loss assured the Buccaneers of the following year's first-overall draft pick, as the strength of schedule gave the Buccaneers the advantage over the Atlanta Falcons, the only other team that could potentially win as few as 3 games. (The Buffalo Bills would finish with two wins, but their first-round pick had already been traded away and spent on Bernie Kosar in a supplemental draft the previous season, leaving the 1986 NFL Draft with only 27 first-round picks).
Of his defense's performance, Bennett could only say, "That team shouldn't have scored 31 points on us".
- REFEREE: Tom Dooley
- UMPIRE: Dave Hamilton
- LINE JUDGE: Vern Marshall
- LINESMAN: Ed Marion
- BACK JUDGE: Bob Moore
- FIELD JUDGE: Bob Lewis
- SIDE JUDGE: Gary Lane
- COLTS: 11:08-1Q Wonsley 7 run (Allegre kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:25-1Q Wilder 9 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:06-2Q Igwebuike FG48
- COLTS: 08:46-2Q Allegre FG33
- COLTS: 00:31-2Q Wonsley 3 run (Allegre kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:00-2Q House 44 pass from Young (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:55-4Q Young 1 run (kick failed)
- COLTS: 10:57-4Q Pagel 2 run (Allegre kick)
- COLTS: 04:55-4Q Bentley 26 run (Allegre kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #66 G. Yarno
- LG: #68 R. Mallory
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #08 S. Young
- UB: #86 C. Magee
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #54 E. Randle
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #51 C. Washington
- ROLB: #57 K. Browner
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- LCB: #23 J. Castillo
- FS: #30 D. Greenwood
- SS: #44 I. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 20 Springs, 24 Prior, 26 Easmon, 31 Curry, 38 Peoples, 40 Armstrong, 50 Wilson, 55 D Johnson, 56 C Johnson, 64 Shearin, 67 Morgan, 71 Studaway, 72 Courson, 75 Lindstrom, 79 Kaplan, 80 Dunn, 81 Verser, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte
DID NOT PLAY
- 17 DeBerg
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 22-95, Young 8-49, Carter 1-13.
- COLTS: McMillan 13-108, Gill 9-66, Wonsley 12-50, Bentley 3-31, Pagel 3-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Young 25-14-251-2-1.
- COLTS: Pagel 28-17-127-1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: House 4-131, Magee 4-43, Giles 3-50, Carter 1-11, T.Bell 1-11, Wilder 1-5.
- COLTS: Beach 5-28, Bouza 4-29, Wonsley 3-26, McMillan 3-5, Boyer 1-25, Capers 1-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Greenwood 1-7.
- COLTS: Daniel 1-0, Colts 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Verser 4-61, Springs 1-34, Magee 1-5.
- COLTS: Bentley 3-55, Martin 2-24.
- BUCCANEERS: Prior 1-8.
- COLTS: Martin 2-24.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- COLTS: Cooks 1-13, Bickett 1-8.