WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 29 Baltimore Colts 26
The Buccaneers overcame a shaky start in which they were penalized for 80 yards in the first quarter. Then, later, they had to overcome a fourth-quarter collapse in which they allowed the Colts to score 9 points that sent the Buccaneers into their first overtime game.
Doug Williams' first pass of the day was intercepted by Norman Thompson, but it took the Colts, hampered by the loss of quarterback Bert Jones and running back Joe Washington, 9 plays to get to the end zone from the Buccaneers' 23-yard line.
Lee Roy Selmon blocked an extra-point attempt in the fourth quarter that preserved the tie and led to the overtime period.
The Buccaneers' ten sacks of Colts quarterback Greg Landry set a new team record. After Randy Crowder stripped the ball from Landry 1:31 into the overtime period, Neil O'Donoghue was immediately sent in to kick the game-winning 31-yard field goal.
McKay pointed to the now-stable lineup as a factor in the team's improvement, saying that previously, you couldn't call an audible because "one of the guys just got here Tuesday".
- REFEREE: Cal LePore
- UMPIRE: Dave Hamilton
- LINE JUDGE: Bob Beske
- LINESMAN: Tony Veteri
- BACK JUDGE: Banks William
- FIELD JUDGE: Jack Vaughen
- SIDE JUDGE: Grover Klemmer
- COLTS: 11:03-1Q Hardemann 4 pass from Landry (Linhart kick)
- COLTS: 05:24-1Q Linhart FG24
- COLTS: 03:55-1Q Hardemann 1 run (Linhart kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:39-2Q Bell 1 run (kick failed)
- BUCCANEERS: 07:06-2Q Hagins 9 pass from Williams (O'Donoghue kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 14:44-4Q Washington 49 interception return (O'Donoghue kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:57-4Q Jones 37 pass from Williams (kick failed)
- COLTS: 07:13-4Q DeRoo 67 pass from Landry (kick failed)
- COLTS: 01:26-4Q Linhart FG38
- BUCCANEERS: 13:19-OT O'Donoghue FG31
- SE: #81 I. Hagins
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #64 G. Horton
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- FL: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- RB: #43 J. Eckwood
- RB: #42 R. Bell
- LE: #60 W. Chambers
- NT: #77 B. Kollar
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 D. Lewis
- LMLB: #58 D. Selmon
- RELB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #45 J. White
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 6 O'Donoghue, 16 Blanchard, 23 Ragsdale, 25 Jordan, 27 T Davis, 36 Berns, 38 J Davis, 44 Cesare, 46 Reece, 51 Nafziger, 53 Bonness, 55 Brown, 66 Yarno, 69 Austin, 70 Carlton, 71 Crowder, 74 Sanders, 84 Jones, 86 Obradovich, 87 Mucker
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fusina, 15 Rae, 79 Lewis
- BUCCANEERS: Eckwood 19-53, Bell 10-34, Berns 4-9, Williams 3-8, Ragsdale 1-3, J.Davis 1-0.
- COLTS: Hardemann 18-58, McCauley 8-28, Landry 3-5, Garry 6-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 29-10-196-2-2.
- COLTS: Landry 37-22-183-2-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 3-56, Hagins 2-35, Owens 2-31, Jones 1-37, J.Davis 1-24, Eckwood 1-13.
- COLTS: Hardemann 7-24, McCauley 6-49, DeRoo 3-81, Garry 2-(-3), Doughty 1-16, Burke 1-9, Alston 1-4, McCall 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Washington 1-49, Wood 1-24.
- COLTS: Thompson 1-35, Shiver 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Ragsdale 1-19, T.Davis 1-16.
- COLTS: Leonard 3-70, Thompson 2-81, Callicut 2-23.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 7-54.
- COLTS: Glasgow 2-(-2).
- BUCCANEERS: L. Selmon 2-19, Lewis 2-12, Crowder 2-9, Washington 1-11, Jordan 1-9, Chambers 1-6, Kollar 1-3.
- COLTS: none.