LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 Baltimore Colts 42
Buccaneers Score First Two Touchdowns Of The Year
After taking a 3–0 lead against one of the league’s better teams on a Dave Green field goal, the Buccaneers were overwhelmed by the Baltimore Colts in a disastrous second quarter.
A Danny Reece interception of a Bert Jones pass was called back due to a roughing-the-passer penalty, and another was dropped by Richard Wood. Cornerback Mike Washington was thrown out of the game for fighting. Cal Peterson and Lee Roy Selmon went out with knee injuries.
Film of the game appeared to indicate that the injury to Selmon was intentional.
The Colts followed with 9 points in each of the next two quarters. The Buccaneers scored on a fumble return by Danny Reece and a 1-yard Charlie Davis run. The Colts set team records with eight sacks, and with 124 penalty yards. They outgained Tampa Bay 458 yards to 89 and 31 first downs to 6.
The Buccaneers were only able to complete four passes; wide receiver Lee McGriff was their leading passer with a 39-yard completion. Said McKay afterward, “Field position hurt us badly, dropped passes hurt us badly, no blocking hurt us badly, injuries hurt us badly, and penalties hurt us badly. Otherwise, it was a perfect afternoon."
- REFEREE: Gordon McCarter
- UMPIRE: Paul Vrequisky
- LINE JUDGE: Vince Benon
- LINESMAN: Jeffrey Sepmen
- BACK JUDGE: Rey Douglas
- FIELD JUDGE: Arman Torrion
- BUCCANEERS: 13:34-2Q Green FG40
- COLTS: 11:29-2Q Leaks 1 run (Linhart kick)
- COLTS: 05:36-2Q Linhart FG32
- COLTS: 01:58-2Q Leaks 1 run (Linhart kick)
- COLTS: 00:17-2Q Carr 48 pass from Jones (Linhart kick)
- COLTS: 08:52-3Q Mitchell 24 pass from Jones (kick failed)
- COLTS: 03:34-3Q Linhart FG38
- COLTS: 11:50-4Q McCauley 2 run (Linhart kick)
- COLTS: 03:34-4Q Safety - Fernandes tackled Dickinson in the endzone
- BUCCANEERS: 01:49-4Q Reece 44 fumble return (Green kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 00:32-4Q Davis 1 run (Green kick)
- WR: #89 J. McKay
- LT: #71 S. Young
- LG: #72. H. Fest
- C: #51 D. Ryczek
- RG: #67 T. Alward
- RT: #74 D. Current
- TE: #86 J. Moore
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #11 G. Spurrier
- RB: #43 R. Williams
- RB: #25 J. Novak
- LE: #78 C. Rudolph
- LT: #76 D. Pear
- RT: #63 L. Selmon
- RE: #66 P. Toomay
- LLB: #58 C. Peterson
- MLB: #56 B. Cooper
- RLB: #30 Gunn
- LCB: #40 M. Washington
- RCB: #46 D. Reece
- LS: #33 M. Cotney
- RS: #28 K. Stone
- 4 Green, 18 Dickinson, 19 Johnson, 22 McNeill, 26 Davis, 27 Davis, 32 Carter, 35 DuBose, 42 Oliver, 52 Reese, 53 Ball, 54 Wood, 61 DSelmon, 64 Robinson, 73 Ward, 77 Little, 82 Pagac, 83 McGriff, 88 Smith
DID NOT PLAY
- 13 Lawrence, 79 Wilson
- 25 Jordan, 44 Moore
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 12-35, Williams 5-20, Johnson 2-12, Davis 4-9, DuBose 1-0.
- COLTS: Mitchell 14-98, Leaks 13-72, McCauley 14-51, Lee 6-14, Jones 1-4, Troup 2-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: Spurrier 9-2-36-0-0, Dickinson 5-1-12-1-0, McGriff 1-1-39-0-0.
- COLTS: Jones 24-15-186-0-2, Troup 9-4-59-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: McKay 2-26, Smith 1-39, Novak 1-22.
- COLTS: McCauley 5-52, Mitchell 5-41, Scott 2-26, Carr 2-54, Chester 2-22, Thompson 1-11.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- COLTS: Munsey 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 4-72, McNeil 1-32, C.Davis 1-17, DuBose 0-28.
- COLTS: Stevens 2-35, Kennedy 1-15, Lee 1-(-2).
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 2-4, Cotney 1-9.
- COLTS: Stevens 8-80.
- BUCCANEERS: Robinson 1-9, Rudolph 1-9, L.Selmon 1-7.
- COLTS: Cook 3-23, Fernandes 2-15, Dutton 1.5-19.5, White 1.5-16.5.