LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 San Diego Chargers 24
Dan Fouts had to pass even more than usual, with running back Chuck Muncie, the league's leading scorer, forced out of the game after only three carries. Fouts completed 33 of 49 passes for 351 yards and a touchdown against the Buccaneers' league-leading secondary. His only touchdown was a 27-yarder to Eric Sievers, the longest touchdown pass against the Buccaneers all season.
He was intercepted twice. The Chargers also scored on runs of 8-yards by John Cappelletti and 1-yard by James Brooks, while the Buccaneers scored on a 58-yard reception by Theo Bell and a Bill Capece field goal. Brooks' touchdown was set up by a James Owens fumble, the Buccaneers' first fumble on a running play all season. With the Buccaneers down 21–10 in the fourth quarter, James Wilder scored on runs of 8 and 23 yards in the span of 27 seconds.
Dave Lewis forced a Cappelletti fumble that gave the Buccaneers an opportunity to score again, but a hit by Glen Edwards caused Jimmie Giles to lose control of a reception, resulting in a Woody Lowe interception that led to Rolf Benirschke's game-winning field goal. Edwards also intercepted a last-minute pass by Doug Williams.
Capece was criticized harshly when, despite having earlier kicked a 49-yard field goal, he missed an extra point attempt that provided the margin of victory for the Chargers.
Williams completed 22 of 35 passes for 321 yards, raising his season completion percentage above 50% for the first time in his career.
Fouts' touchdown gave him a league-leading total of 32 on the season. The Chargers had been facing elimination from the playoff race with a loss, but instead found themselves with the opportunity to win the AFC West. Their win also denied the New York Jets a playoff spot..
- REFEREE: Gene Barth
- UMPIRE: Bob Boylston
- LINE JUDGE: Bob McLaughlin
- LINESMAN: Burl Toler
- BACK JUDGE: J. W. Sanders
- FIELD JUDGE: Fritz Graf
- SIDE JUDGE: Dean Look
- CHARGERS: 09:03-1Q Sievers 27 pass from Fouts (Bernirschke kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 07:03-1Q T.Bell 58 pass from Williams (Capece kick)
- CHARGERS: 07:32-2Q Cappelletti 8 run (Bernirschke kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 10:17-3Q Capece FG49
- CHARGERS: 11:52-4Q Brooks 1 run (Bernirschke kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:33-4Q Wilder 8 run (kick failed)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:06-4Q Wilder 23 run (Capece kick)
- CHARGERS: 00:25-4Q Bernirschke FG29
- WR: #83 T. Bell
- LT: #74 G. Sanders
- LG: #72 R. Snell
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- FB: #32 J. Wilder
- TB: #42 R. Bell
- LE: #65 D. Stalls
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #59 A. Hawkins
- LILB: #56 C. Johnson
- RILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #41 N. Thomas
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #20 N. Colzie
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 3 Capece, 9 Swider, 21 Holt, 24 Delaney, 26 Owens, 27 T Davis, 43 Eckwood, 44 Cesare, 51 Nafziger, 52 Brantley, 57 Lewis, 62 Leonard, 64 Short, 68 Yarno, 70 Hutchinson, 75 Reavis, 79 Campbell, 86 Obradovich, 87 Carter, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 10 Ford, 14 Fusina, 84 Jones
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 11-61, Wilder 4-34, Williams 1-17, Eckwood 1-2, R.Bell 2-0.
- CHARGERS: Brooks 17-50, Cappelletti 9-32, Muncie 3-17, Fouts 1-3, Chandler 1-(-8).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 35-22-321-2-1, House 1-0-0-0-0.
- CHARGERS: Fouts 49-33-351-2-1, Winslow 1-0-0-0-0, Chandler 1-0-0-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 6-78, Giles 4-38, Owens 4-36, T.Bell 3-96, House 3-61, Eckwood 2-12.
- CHARGERS: Chandler 8-112, Winslow 8-55, Joiner 7-99, Brooks 7-31, Sievers 1-27, Scales 1-22, Cappelletti 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Lewis 1-10, Brown 1-0.
- CHARGERS: Edwards 1-39, Lowe 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 2-52, Wilder 1-19, T.Davis 1-13.
- CHARGERS: Brooks 4-99, Bauer 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: Colzie 1-0.
- CHARGERS: Brooks 2-29.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- CHARGERS: Woodcock 2-20, Kelcher 1-11.