WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 St. Louis Cardinals 07
The Buccaneers defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, only recently eliminated from playoff contention, for their first home victory.
Gary Huff completed 7 of 12 passes, including 61 and 62 yarders to Morris Owens, the first of which went for a touchdown. The improved offensive line allowed no sacks. Huff's average of 14.3 yards per pass attempt is the third-best in Buccaneer history, and stood as the record until broken by Vinny Testaverde in 1992. Said Coach McKay following the victory: "I’m going to go home, take a shower, and tell myself what a great coach I am".
Fans tore down the goalposts after the game, and a vendor outside the stadium began stamping the word "Don’t" at the top of the "Throw McKay in Tampa Bay" T-shirts he had been selling. The fifty points the Buccaneers scored in their final two games were nearly as many (53) they had put up in the entire rest of the season (twelve games). They had scored only three points at home until this game, being shut out in five consecutive home games.
- REFEREE: Bernie Ulman
- UMPIRE: Tony Kramer
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tony Veteri
- LINE JUDGE: Jack Seteffen
- BACK JUDGE: Ben Tompkins
- FIELD JUDGE: Pat Mallette
- BUCCANEERS: 6:54-1Q Carter 1 run (Green kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 5:01-2Q Owens 61 pass from Huff (Green kick)
- CARDINALS: 0:51-2Q Morris 3 run (Bakken kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 4:17-3Q Green FG23
- WR: #83 D. Nafziger
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #62 J. Winans
- C: #79 S. Wilson
- RG: #68 D. Medlin
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #80 J. Novak
- WR: #85 M. Owens
- QB: #19 G. Huff
- RB: #43 E. Williams
- RB: #32 L. Carter
- LE: #78 C. Rudolph
- DT: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- OLB: #57 D. Lewis
- ILB: #61 D. Selmon
- ILB: #54 R. Wood
- OLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LC: #45 J. White
- RC: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 23 Ragsdale, 25 Jordan, 30 Packer, 35 DuBose, 46 Reece, 51 Ryczek, 52 Harris, 53 Bonness, 59 Lemon, 64 Robinson, 66 B Carter, 72 G Johnson, 77 Kollar, 81 Hagins, 87 Mucker, 89 McKay
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Hedberg, 17 Blount, 65 R Johnson, 82 Waddell
- 42 Bell, 84 Boyett
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 20-45, DuBose 11-45, Williams 7-17, Huff 1-1.
- CARDINALS: Morris 19-64, Jones 4-34, Otis 9-19, Latin 3-17, Metcalf 1-4, Hart 1-(-4).
- BUCCANEERS: Huff 12-7-171-1-1.
- CARDINALS: Hart 29-16-162-2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 4-138, DuBose 1-16, Novak 1-15, Hagins 1-2.
- CARDINALS: Harris 6-94, Latin 3-10, Gray 2-28, Jones 2-10, Otis 1-9, Metcalf 1-8, Morris 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Cotney 1-0, Washington 1-0.
- CARDINALS: Arneson 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: Ragsdale 2-28.
- CARDINALS: Bradley 2-42, Metcalf 1-35, Jones 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 2-24.
- CARDINALS: Bradley 3-19.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- CARDINALS: none