LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27 Cleveland Browns 34
Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Sipe set a team record by completing 13 consecutive passes en route to passing for 318 yards, the highest total that Tampa Bay had allowed to date. He beat a Buccaneer blitz to hit former Dallas great Calvin Hill for a touchdown that gave the Browns a 30–13 lead.
Despite going into the final two minutes with a two-touchdown deficit, the Buccaneers continued to rally, scoring on a 7-yard pass to Jerry Eckwood with 45 seconds left. They were able to recover the ensuing onside kick, but were not able to score again in the remaining time.
Doug Williams completed 30 passes for 337 yards.
Two first-quarter touchdown opportunities ended with penalties, forcing the Buccaneers to settle for field goals which provided the margin of defeat.
Injuries again were a factor, as the inexperienced Dave Logan aided a second-quarter Cleveland drive by committing penalties on two consecutive plays, and free safety Cedric Brown was badly missed.
- REFEREE: Jerry Markbreit
- UMPIRE: Ed Fiffick
- LINE JUDGE: Bama Glass
- HEAD LINESMAN: Dale Hamer
- BACK JUDGE: Tom Kelleher
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill Stanley
- SIDE JUDGE: Willie Spencer
- BUCCANEERS: 05:52-1Q Yepremian FG37
- BUCCANEERS: 04:17-2Q Yepremian FG35
- BROWNS: 11:14-2Q Cockroft FG35
- BUCCANEERS: 10:34-2Q Jones 41 pass from Williams (Yepremian kick)
- BROWNS: 04:39-2Q White 8 run (Cockroft kick)
- BROWNS: 01:34-2Q Hill 3 pass from Sipe (Cockroft kick)
- BROWNS: 00:53-3Q Feacher 13 pass from Sipe (Cockroft kick)
- BROWNS: 10:20-4Q Hill 43 pass from Sipe (Cockroft kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 05:09-4Q Jones 3 pass from Williams (Yepremian kick)
- BROWNS: 01:56-4Q Cockroft FG36
- BUCCANEERS: 00:45-4Q Eckwood 7 pass from Williams (Yepremian kick)
- WR: #89 4 G. Jones
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #72 R. Snell
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #73 C. Hannah
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #81 I. Hagins
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- RB: #42 R. Bell
- RB: #43 J. Eckwood
- LE: #77 B. Kollar
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 D. Lewis
- SILB: #58 D. Selmon
- WILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #41 N. Thomas
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #25 C. Jordan
- 1 Yepremian, 16 Blanchard, 20 Colzie, 27 T Davis, 28 G Davis, 36 Berns, 38 J Davis, 46 Reece, 52 Brantley, 55 Brown, 59 Hawkins, 62 Leonard, 65 Stalls, 68 Yarno, 70 Calhoun, 74 Sanders, 80 Rucker, 86 Obradovich, 87 Mucker, 89 House
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fusina, 79 Lewis
- BUCCANEERS: Eckwood 11-22, Bell 11-17, Hagins 1-26, Williams 2-15.
- BROWNS: M.Pruitt 15-48, White 11-27, G.Pruitt 3-19, Miller 1-0, Sipe 1-(-2).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 56-30-343-2-3.
- BROWNS: Sipe 32-22-318-1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Eckwood 10-101, Jones 7-106, G.Davis 4-45, Bell 3-21, Mucker 2-37, Giles 2-22, Obradovich 1-8, J.Davis 1-3.
- BROWNS: M.Pruitt 5-39, Rucker 4-79, Feacher 3-25, Logan 2-50, Hill 2-46, Adams 2-46, Newsome 2-25, Oden 1-5, White 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Cotney 1-0.
- BROWNS: Burrell 2-20.
- BUCCANEERS: J.Davis 5-92, Obradovich 1-9.
- BROWNS: Hall 3-63, Wright 1-27.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 3-13.
- BROWNS: Wright 3-19.
- BUCCANEERS: Logan 1-10.
- BROWNS: Alzado 1-6.